“Those utilities that understand and leverage the perceptions, behaviors and values of their consumers will ultimately generate the most value in the new energy era."
Redmond, WA (PRWEB) June 14, 2010
Consumers need the benefits of a modernized grid. Yet few of them understand smart grids, smart meters, and energy efficiency programs, according to recent research. The country's electric power utilities must close this information gap. What's more, they must educate consumers about how to take advantage of energy efficiency and conservation programs that can lower their rates while also lowering operating costs for the utilities.
To help utilities with this new challenge, Smart Grid News has assembled a panel of experts for a free Webinar at 10:30 a.m. Pacific time on Thursday, June 17. Registration is under way now for Lessons from the Real World: Secrets of Customer Adoption presented in conjunction with Accenture.
The Webinar will highlight strategies for accelerating customer adoption and behavior change from three of North America’s top experts:
- Jim Nelson, Senior Marketing Manager, BC Hydro Power Smart, discussing his utility’s Power Smart initiative and other customer engagement successes
- Greg Guthridge, Managing Director, Accenture global utilities retail and customer operations, on proven techniques for achieving customer adoption
- Bart Schoonbaert, research lead, Accenture utilities customer operations, sharing insights from Accenture’s just-completed survey of 9,000 utility customers around the world
“Results from that Accenture survey even surprised me,” noted Jesse Berst, founding editor at Smart Grid News. He pointed to findings that showed most consumers:
- Don't trust utilities for energy advice
- Don't understand the link between smart devices and energy efficiency
- Care about control nearly as much as cost (that's right... many consumers will not change behavior no matter how much you offer them to save, if they think they are losing too much control)
“Those utilities that understand and leverage the perceptions, behaviors and values of their consumers will ultimately generate the most value in the new energy era," said Greg Guthridge, managing director of Accenture’s Utility Customer Care Practice. "By presenting a compelling and convenient value proposition that rewards energy efficiency, energy providers will create competitive advantage and higher levels of consumer satisfaction.”
Added Berst: “Clearly the industry has a lot of work to do to educate and engage consumers. This Webinar is just the beginning of our commitment to help. We have also launched a new Customer Care channel at Smart Grid News that is full of helpful resources, including white papers, case studies and the latest news and trends.”
About Smart Grid News
Smart Grid News is the sector’s oldest, largest and highest-ranked specialty site. It produces daily news analysis, a weekly email summary, the sector’s only hands-on product reviews, and the Web’s largest collection of Smart Grid-specific resources, including research papers, case studies and stimulus tools. It features exclusive content from some of the world’s leading Smart Grid experts.
Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company. Combining unparalleled experience, comprehensive capabilities across all industries and business functions, and extensive research on the world’s most successful companies, Accenture collaborates with clients to help them become high-performance businesses and governments.
# # #