We love sharing our unique insights with the art world and our ability to forecast what people love on their wall is what enables us to offer paintings that will be hip and desirable for years to come.
Wichita, KS (PRWEB) June 15, 2010
The popular online art gallery, overstockArt.com, released today its Father’s Day Top 10 list. This year’s list names the top 10 most popular oil paintings for fathers. Topping the chart is Edward Hopper’s masterpiece Night Hawks. Oil paintings by master artists Paul Cezanne, Salvador Dali, Piet Mondrian, Vincent van Gogh, Mark Rothko, and Johannes Vermeer also made the list.
According to overstockArt.com statistics, the following paintings are the most desirable by men over the age of 40:
1. Night Hawks, Edward Hopper – Hopper’s most famous painting was inspired by a diner in his neighborhood in Manhattan, Greenwich Village. This oil painting is filled with silence, like his other works the scene created is still and tense.
2. Starry Night, Vincent van Gogh – This masterpiece by van Gogh was named the best-selling oil painting of the last decade by overstockArt.com. The oil painting depicts the view outside van Gogh’s sanatorium room window at night.
3. From The Lake I, Georgia O'Keeffe – This art piece is classic O‘Keeffe – a depiction of nature’s intricate detail in a larger than life form.
4. Rhytmus, Piet Mondrian – This oil painting showcases Mondrian’s signature style – using minimal black lines punctuated with a few small blocks of color.
5. Girl With Pearl Earring, by Johannes Vermeer – Vermeer’s masterwork is known as the “Mona Lisa of the North,” an unconventional portrait of a woman with an unknown identity.
6. Soft Watch at the Moment Of Explosion, Salvador Dali – This masterpiece by Dali features one of his trademarks – the iconic melting watch.
7. Violet, Green and Red, Mark Rothko - Rothko’s work has been the talk of the town ever since it was featured on AMC's Emmy® and Golden Globe®-winning series “Mad Men.” Pioneer of the color painters, Rothko’s work is characterized by bright bands of horizontal colors painted on enormous canvases.
8. The Tartan “El Son,” Salvador Dali – This painting is almost narrative with a son taking on the open sea in his sailboat. It is a symbolic representation of how children leave the home in search for their own place in the world.
9. The Card Players, Paul Cezanne – This iconic work by Cezanne piece is an old west style painting featuring cowboy card players.
10. The Martha McKean of Wellfleet, Edward Hopper - This popular painting provides wonderful imagery of a breezy sailboat excursion with a feeling of relaxation and enjoyment.
For overstockArt.com, data mining their vast amount of information grants them a unique perspective on the market. "This list represents some of our top selling paintings,” said David Sasson, CEO of overstockArt.com. “We love sharing our unique insights with the art world and our ability to forecast what people love on their wall is what enables us to offer paintings that will be hip and desirable for years to come."