This is an exciting step forward for event and entertainment industry apps. Unlike a simple information guide, this allows attendees to have a live, two-way dialogue with Festival staff and local businesses as they walk around and enjoy the films.
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) June 16, 2010
Film Independent, the non-profit arts organization that produces the Spirit Awards, the Los Angeles Film Festival, and year-round artist development programs and exhibition events, along with mobile software company MacroView Labs, announced the launch of the official 2010 Los Angeles Film Festival smartphone apps. The free, location-aware apps give users real-time updates about hundreds of films, filmmakers, news items and events happening in L.A.
“The Los Angeles Film Festival app is an entertaining and simple way to engage our audiences, encourage an online dialogue, and enhance their festival-going experience,” said Festival Director Rebecca Yeldham. “It’s also the perfect method of helping attendees navigate our new Festival footprint downtown.”
“This is an exciting step forward for event and entertainment industry apps,” said Aron Ezra, CEO of MacroView Labs. “Unlike a simple information guide, this allows attendees to have a live, two-way dialogue with the Festival and the surrounding city. People can actually interact with Festival staff and local businesses via the app as they enjoy the films. Attendees get a virtual concierge to show them around, give them inside tips, and respond to their requests.”
The native iPhone application is available now for download in the Apple iTunes Store at:
The mobile web app can be accessed from Android phones, recent Blackberry phones and many other modern Internet-capable smartphones at: http://app.lafilmfest.com.
This year's 11-day Festival, presented by the Los Angeles Times, marks the inaugural year in the heart of L.A.'s vibrant Downtown. The 16th annual Festival will be unveiling world premieres of studio films, free outdoor movies, fun treasures from the past, terrific new international films, and exciting conversations with guest artists.
Application Features Include:
- INNOVATIVE SORTING & IN-APP SEARCH - Find movies by title, director, genre, venue, section, or country with full summaries and key credits. Still having trouble finding what you want? Use the integrated search bar to find films, places, events, or people at the Festival.
- DAILY SHOW SCHEDULE – Festival Films, music in the ZonePerfect live.create. lounge. Handy. Cool. Pretty self-explanatory.
- ORDER TICKETS & PASSES - Touch to call the Coca-Cola Ticket Center and place your ticket order.
- INTERACTIVE MAPS - Find your exact location and get directions to any key area of the festival. View satellite maps, road maps, or a hybrid of both. You can even drop a pin to bookmark any location you choose so that you can remember where you parked or how to get to your favorite theater. Almost every key Festival location is mapped for easy navigation.
- MY L.A. FILM FESTIVAL - Bookmark any film, event, map, or just about anything else for later viewing in your custom favorites folder.
- STAFF DIRECTORY - Need to locate key Festival staff with a pressing question? Now we're just a button away.
- DOWNTOWN DESTINATIONS - Browse through dozens of restaurants and all our key venues for this year's Festival.
- REAL-TIME WEATHER & TRAFFIC UPDATES - The weather should be great -- the traffic might not be. Check current conditions under the "Get There" section.
- WATCH TRAILERS - There's some great ones in here.
- FIND BIG DISCOUNTS - Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors and partners, you'll find discounts on everything from parking to rental cars to airline travel to hotel stays to bars & restaurants across the city.
- GIVE BACK - Volunteer, donate, or rate content within the app to let us know what you think.
- VIP CONTENT - Filmmakers, press, and other groups can unlock private, passcode- protected content only accessible to them.
- TWITTER, FACEBOOK & TELL-A-FRIEND INTEGRATION - Check out our live Twitter & Facebook content right from the app, or send any page in the app to a friend.
Visit http://www.LAFilmFest.com for screening dates and times, and to purchase tickets and passes.
ABOUT THE 2010 LOS ANGELES FILM FESTIVAL
Now in its sixteenth year, the Los Angeles Film Festival is widely recognized as a world-class event, showcasing the best of new American and international cinema and providing the movie-loving public with access to some of the most critically acclaimed filmmakers, film industry professionals, and emerging talent from around the world.
The Festival features unique signature programs including the Filmmaker Retreat, Ford Amphitheater Outdoor Screenings, Poolside Chats, and more. Additionally, the Festival screens short films created by high school students and has a special section devoted to music videos.
Over 200 features, shorts, and music videos from more than 40 countries make up the main body of the Festival.
The Los Angeles Film Festival is presented by the Los Angeles Times and is supported by L.A. LIVE and Premier Sponsor ZonePerfect® Nutrition Bars and Principal Sponsors Kodak and Subaru. Special support is provided by the National Endowment for the Arts and The Academy Foundation of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The Standard, Downtown LA is the official Host Hotel, American Airlines is the Official Airline Partner, WireImage is the Official Photography Agency, and PR Newswire is the Official Breaking News Service of Film Independent.
More information can be found at LAFilmFest.com
ABOUT MACROVIEW LABS INC.
MacroView Labs is a mobile software company that helps organizations and individuals understand and interact with each other in the mobile world. The company creates dynamic, location-aware apps for cell phones and mobile devices that organizations can distribute to their customers, employees & other target audiences.
Unlike standard apps, the mobile software built by MacroView Labs can aggregate hundreds of different functionalities into a single mobile application. This give users an enhanced real-world experience by providing them with schedules, GPS maps, games, passkey-protected content, activities and other concierge services. Clients can advise, entertain, sell to and learn from their key stakeholders. The San Francisco-based company is privately held. More information is at http://www.MacroViewLabs.com. To watch a short demo video of the platform, visit http://www.macroviewlabs.com/demo/video.
ABOUT FILM INDEPENDENT
Film Independent is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit arts organization that champions independent film and supports a community of artists who embody diversity, innovation, and uniqueness of vision. Film Independent helps filmmakers make their movies, builds an audience for their projects, and works to diversify the film industry. Film Independent’s Board of Directors, filmmakers, staff, and constituents are comprised of an inclusive community of individuals across ability, age, ethnicity, gender, race, and sexual orientation. Anyone passionate about film can become a member, whether you are a filmmaker, industry leader, or film lover.
With over 250 annual screenings and events, Film Independent provides access to a network of like-minded artists who are driving creativity in the film industry. Film Independent offers free Filmmaker Labs for selected writers, directors, and producers; provides cut-rate services for filmmakers; and presents year-round networking opportunities. Film Independent’s mentorship and job placement program, Project:Involve, pairs emerging culturally diverse filmmakers with film industry professionals.
Film Independent produces the Los Angeles Film Festival, celebrating the best of American and international cinema, and the Spirit Awards, a celebration honoring films and filmmakers that embody independence and dare to challenge the status quo.
For more information or to become a member, visit FilmIndependent.org.
Elise Freimuth, PR Manager, 310.432.1287, EFreimuth(at)FilmIndependent(dot)org
Whitney Kimmel, Media Accreditation, 310.432.1256, WKimmel(at)FilmIndependent(dot)org
Betty Lek, Media Relations, 415-255-5727, elek(at)macroviewlabs(dot)com