(PRWEB) June 19, 2010
London, UK – 19 June – New research from discount voucher website http://www.savoo.co.uk shows British fathers are becoming increasingly detached from family life, with a staggering three quarters of those questioned, seeing themselves more as a breadwinner than they do as a father.
The research commissioned by Savoo.co.uk studied the attitudes towards family life of 2,500 dads around Britain who work full time. The results showed that modern working fathers now spend so much time at the office that more than half of those surveyed felt they were missing out on their kids growing up because they’re so busy working, with 15.28% missing their child’s first day at school and 16% losing out on their child saying their first word.
A worrying quarter of the dads questioned admit that they sometimes feel closer to their work colleagues than their family, with three quarters stating that mum’s knows their children best.
A good way for father’s and kids to spend quality time together is to take up the same hobbies such as tennis, football or even running. There are fantastic offers to be had on the Savoo Argos discount codes page ideal for those dads who want to combine family time with an active lifestyle.
Simon Bird, UK Director of Retail Partnerships at Savoo.co.uk comments: “With Father’s Day approaching, it’s concerning to see that so many dads feel detached from family life. Three quarters of dads polled wish they spent less time working and more time with their kids and Father’s Day is a great time for families to spend quality time together and for children and partners to show their dads and husbands how much they appreciate everything they do.
Half of the fathers interviewed said that a weekend away together would be the best gift they could receive this Father’s Day and Savoo.co.uk is offering some great deals on cheap weekends away that won’t break the bank and experience days out that’ll get the family laughing together and help fathers feel really appreciated and part of the family. You can even use A Game voucher from Savoo to pick up a game that the whole family can play together, enjoying some good old fashioned family time together”.
The research from discount voucher site Savoo.co.uk highlighted British fathers diminishing role in the family, with one in six dads stating that they never got involved in the family decision-making process because they were always at work and those who were involved, were only able to voice their opinion 50 per cent of the time due to work commitments.
But one of the most concerning results to come out of the research was how fathers identified their key responsibility in the family after it emerged that 74 per cent of dads picked 'breadwinner', 53 per cent picked ‘father’ and 52 per cent opted for ‘husband’. Top ten results are below:
MODERN DADS' ROLES
4. Repair man
5. Money manager
Further results from the research included:
- ‘Meal times’ and choices, ‘home decoration’ and the ‘kids' daily routines’ are among the subjects which modern dads have little or no say on
- Almost six out of ten dads admitting to missing out on quality time with the kids due to long hours at the office
- 74 per cent of fathers picked 'breadwinner' as their main role in the family, 53 per cent picked ‘father’, 52 per cent opted for ‘husband’ and 18 per cent went for ‘gardener’. Just over one in four picked 'driver', one in three went for 'repair man' and one in six opted for 'chef'
- Other roles to make the top ten included ‘plumber’, ‘cleaner’ and ‘gardener’. Among the more bizarre answers were ‘teacher’, ‘entertainer’, ‘friend’ and ‘electrical engineer’
- Four out of ten dads said they felt 'under-appreciated'
- One in two fathers said they were 'too tired' to play with the kids once they did finally arrive home from work
- More than half said the kids were often in bed by the time they got home – which happens at least three times a week
- Just three in ten dads have sat down to read with their child in the last four weeks, while the same number has helped them with their homework
- Most fathers eat dinner together as a family three times a week, while twice a week dads will sit down to their meal in front of the television
Jayne Stala, Adrian Ma or Lucy Gordon at Komodo PR
020 7680 5520.
Notes to editors:
About the research:
All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from OnePoll.com. Total sample size was 2,500 working British fathers. Fieldwork was undertaken between 9th and 11th June 2010. The survey was carried out online. OnePoll surveys ensure all demographics are fairly represented – across gender, region and age.
Savoo.co.uk is a free, online voucher site that allows people to save on almost anything that they want to buy online.
Savoo.co.uk’s dedicated team of Deal Hunters scours the web to find top offers in every category, from designer clothes and baby gear to big screen TVs and gourmet food. Savoo.co.uk currently offers approximately 5,000 unique, active vouchers, with opportunities to save everyday on major brands, such as Apple, Amazon, Argos, Dell, Debenhams, Figleaves, Tesco, etc. If consumers are too embarrassed to use vouchers in public, then Savoo.co.uk is also a ‘discreet’ way for them to save lots of money on all of their purchases.
Savoo.co.uk’s mission is to be a true consumer champion by offering consumers the straightest, simplest road to the best deals online, as well as by offering lots of exclusive deals.
Visitors to Savoo.co.uk can add tips and great deals and become a Savoo.co.uk Deal Expert, earning the respect and admiration of fellow members. Or they can contribute to the community by submitting posts to the Savoo blog and voting and commenting on deals, which also lets the Deal Experts know they appreciate their savings savvy.
Savoo.co.uk is the perfect way to make day-to-day savings – and all without having to tackle the High Street.
Follow us on Twitter for the latest deals @Savoo
Become a fan of Savoo.co.uk on Facebook