Health Literacy Innovations Announces 1st Annual Health Literacy Innovator Award — Anonymous Donor Offers Prize Money To Winners
— Health Literacy Innovations (HLI), creators of the Health Literacy Advisor (HLA), the nation's first interactive health literacy software tool, today announced the 1st Annual “National Health Literacy Innovator Award,” a national competition to award innovators in health literacy.
Bethesda, MD (PRWEB) July 7, 2010
Health Literacy Innovations(HLI), creators of the Health Literacy Advisor (HLA), the nation's first interactive health literacy software tool, today announced the 1st Annual “National Health Literacy Innovator Award,” a national competition to award innovators in health literacy.
Submissions will be evaluated in three categories:
- Champion Award: Demonstrated commitment to health literacy in an organization.
- “ReadsEasy” Publication Award: Demonstrated commitment to health literacy in printed information to consumers, such as brochures, pamphlets, or information sheets.
- Clear Focus Multi-Media Award: Demonstrated commitment to excellence in health literacy in a web site or other form of communication, based on usability, design, and reaching a targeted audience.
The list of prestigious 2010 Health Literacy Innovator Award Judges are:
- Carolyn Cocotas, Senior Vice President, Quality and Corporate Compliance, F.E.G.S., Health and Human Services System & IOM Health Literacy Task Force Member, New York
- Cecilia (Ceci) and Leonard (Len) Doak, Principles of Patient Learning Assoc. Inc., and authors of Teaching Patients with Low Literacy Skills, Palm Desert, California
- George Flouty, MD, Medical Director, Pfizer N.Y., Founding member of Pfizer's Health Literacy initiatives (retired)
- Julie Gazmararian, PhD, MPH, Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University Atlanta
- Linda Johnston Lloyd, MEd Health Literacy Consultant and Retired U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration Health, Literacy Coordinator
- Marycelis Keiser, MPH, CHES, Director, Pfizer Inc, Primary Care Business Unit
- Julie McKinney, LINCS Health Literacy List Moderator, World Education, Inc.
- Guadalupe Pacheco, Jr., M.S.W, Special Assistant to the Director, Office of Minority Health, Office of Public Health and Science U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC
Details & deadlines:
- Winners/ category will receive a $300 donation to the charity of their choice and three HLA licenses
- The application deadline is August 30, 2010. Winners will be announced October 2010 in celebration of National Health Literacy Month
- For an application, please visit http://www.HealthLiteracyInnovations.com
About Health Literacy Innovations
Knowing that “literacy” is the single most important indicator of health outcomes, Health Literacy Innovations, (HLI) was founded to create tools to help eliminate medical mistakes and confusion due to low health literacy. In 2007, HLI launched the Health Literacy Advisor (HLA), the nation's first interactive health literacy software tool, which is revolutionizing the health literacy review process. By replacing inefficiency with technology and knowledge, the HLA gives writers of all skill sets a simple tool to produce health information for consumers. An add-in to Microsoft Word, the HLA applies six well-known readability indices and an interactive search-and-replace function to replace hard-to-read terms and phrases and medical jargon with plain language alternatives. The combination of these two functions, the ability to “stamp” a document with a readability score/grade level, and the ReadsEasy stamp (which rewards users for good work) sets the HLA software apart from programs or readability indices alone. For more information, please visit http://www.HealthLiteracyInnovations.com or call 301-230-4966.
Media Contact: Aileen Kantor, aileen(at)prhealthcare(dot)com, 301-229-6782
# # #