Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) July 12, 2010
As millions of students take up their summer activities, hundreds of thousands of school administrators are preparing for the opening of school in the fall. Just ASK Publications & Professional Development today released its 5th annual Opening of School Checklist for school administrators via its Just for the ASKing! e-newsletter.
Highlights from this year’s checklist include:
Focusing on Teaching Staff (24 suggestions)
- Make personal calls to new teachers to invite them to new teacher orientation and answer any questions
- Review new district initiatives and plan appropriate presentations for staff
Focusing on Students (20 suggestions)
- Arrange for any necessary translations of information for non-English speaking students and their families
- Contact feeder schools to determine which students may need special support or attention
Focusing on Parents (11 suggestions)
- Arrange for PTA representatives to contact new families and welcome them to the community
- Publish/distribute a school year calendar with information about school events, report card distribution, parent meetings, etc.
Focusing on the Building (15 suggestions)
- Have copiers serviced so that they are ready for teachers when they return
- Make sure all rooms are equipped with a sufficient number of desks and chairs
Miscellaneous (9 suggestions)
- Devise alternate bell schedules (late openings, early closings, etc.)
- Establish dates for school pictures
“The 2010 Opening of School Checklist is the result of over 20 years experience as a principal and assistant principal combined with the suggestions of other administrators across the country.” said Bruce Oliver, author of the checklist. “Each year I am contacted by principals offering ideas that would useful in preparing for the opening of school.”
The 2010 Opening of School Checklist is available from the Just ASK Publications & Professional website at http://www.justaskpublications.com/jfta.htm.
About Just ASK Publications & Professional Development:
Just ASK Publications & Professional Development (http://www.justaskpublications.com) is a leading provider of products and professional development for educators in formats that facilitate a shared understanding and use of best practice in teaching, learning and leading in classrooms, schools, and districts in the 21st century. Headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, Just ASK is the trusted choice of prominent school districts including: Orange County Public Schools, Orlando, Florida; Fairfax County Public Schools, Virginia; Las Cruces Public Schools, New Mexico; Jeffco Public Schools, Golden, Colorado, Klein ISD, Texas, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Schools, California, and many others.