Washington, DC (PRWEB) July 21, 2010
In early August, WPL Publishing will sponsor a two-part training course focusing on ways to achieve on-time performance and increased profits through construction scheduling. The course will consist of two four-hour webinars.
The webinar series, entitled “Construction Scheduling -- Key to On-Time Performance and Increased Profits: An Introduction to Critical Path Scheduling for Contractors, Design-Builders, Owners, Architects, and Engineers,” is scheduled for Aug. 4 and Aug. 5, 2010, with both webinars starting at 1:00 p.m. EDT. To register, visit http://tinyurl.com/22okc33.
Scheduling is one of the few tools that actually helps contractors and subcontractors improve efficiency and processes, plan better logistics and delivery of long lead items, and help foresee and document possible delays. Many contracts require schedule submissions. In other cases, competence in schedules can lead to a faster climb up the pre-qualification ladder.
Owners, construction managers, and architect/engineer contract administrators are well served when they can read and interpret contractor-submitted schedules so they can understand the contractor's plan and know their own commitments to both contractors and stakeholders. This introductory course is designed to help participants become fluent in construction scheduling.
Saleh Mubarak, an active practitioner in the field and an experienced construction management professor, will serve as the course instructor. He will help participants understand how schedules work, how to read schedules, and how to put schedules to immediate productive use on construction projects.
Through the course, webinar participants will:
- Understand planning -- the concept of planning and the importance of scheduling projects.
- Learn how to create and read bar (Gantt) charts and node networks.
- Discover the concept of the critical path method (CPM) in scheduling projects and comprehend CPM calculations and definitions.
- Learn the steps involved in creating a CPM schedule for any project.
- Understand precedence networks (with four types of relationships).
- Strategize ways to update projects to reflect actual performance as part of the project control effort.
- Receive tips for better and more efficient scheduling and reporting.
- Understand why and how to meet schedule submission requirements on federal and public agency contracts.
- For architects, engineers, and owners, learn how to use schedules as a contract administration tool.
- Be introduced to the following advanced scheduling subjects: the concept of resource loading and resource leveling; the concept of schedule compression and the techniques involved to crash projects; and earned value analysis.
Mubarak is considered one of the world's leading construction management consultants, specializing in planning and scheduling, project control, and cost estimating with special expertise in computer applications and teaching skills. He is an active member in the Project Management Institute (PMI) and the PMI College of Scheduling. Most recently, he served as the training manager for Qatar Project Management, a major commercial developer in Qatar. In addition, he managed the Capital Improvement Program for the Public Works Department in Tampa. He also worked as a full-time professor for more than seven years and as an adjunct professor for six years at Florida State University. This fall, he will chair the Civil Engineering Department at Qatar University.
A 15-to-30 minute period has been reserved at the end of Mubarak’s presentation for a question-and-answer session. Throughout each day's presentation, two 15-minute breaks will be included.
Webinar tuition is based on location, not number of participants, so each registration site can have multiple participants for one low price. To register, visit http://tinyurl.com/22okc33.
WPL Publishing Co., Inc. produces four construction newsletters: Construction Project Controls & BIM Report (http://www.projectcontrols.com), Construction Claims Advisor (http://www.constructionclaims.com), Green Building Insider (http://www.greenbuildinginsider.com), and Construction Advisor Today (http://www.constructionadvisortoday.com). The company also hosts webinar series on topics relevant to the construction industry. WPL is on Twitter at CAT_Online.
# # #