“La Costa offers guests a taste of the Southern California coastal lifestyle, making it our responsibility to protect our natural resources and be good stewards of our environment,” said Paul McCormick, general manager of La Costa. “We are thrilled that o
Carlsbad, Calif. (PRWEB) July 29, 2010
Affirming its commitment to bringing a new level of environmental consciousness to San Diego County, La Costa Resort and Spa has earned a Bronze level rating from Green Seal, which provides science-based environmental certification standards across vast industries. La Costa is the 17th certified hotel in California and the only certified hotel in San Diego.
“La Costa offers guests a taste of the Southern California coastal lifestyle, making it our responsibility to protect our natural resources and be good stewards of our environment,” said Paul McCormick, general manager of La Costa. “We are thrilled that our vibrant sustainability program has met the criteria for this certification and it is our goal to continue on this path of environmental consciousness.”
Sustainable highlights include:
- In an effort to reduce, reuse and recycle, La Costa has one of the first kitchens in San Diego to install the eCorect Food Waste Decomposition System, which dehydrates food waste to produce soil that is suitable for landscape use on the golf course and in hotel plant and flowerbeds. These compost machines handle 182,000 pounds of food scraps per year.
- As a leader in reusable resources, La Costa is one of the longest standing users of reclaimed water in San Diego. To decrease the impact on the environment and use less water, La Costa uses 2.2 gpm faucets and aerators, 1.6 gpf toilets and 2.5 gpm showerheads. Additionally, the plants and trees on property are tolerant of local weather conditions and adhere to local limitations on watering.
- The resort features “smart” thermostats in most guestrooms, which saves energy in unoccupied rooms. Additionally, La Costa uses energy-efficient lighting and web-based computerized controls on pool and spa heaters to minimize gas use. Furthermore, all golf course equipment operates entirely on biodegradable oil.
- La Costa offers a recycling program for guests and staff, recycling all materials that are accepted locally.
- The resort uses environmentally preferable cleaning products.
- La Costa caters to groups meeting on property by providing local and/or organic foods at functions and events, upon request, reducing the group’s carbon footprint.
Through these initiatives, La Costa has reduced a significant amount of electricity, gas and water usage on property. In 2010, La Costa’s electric impact (kilowatts) was down 2.1 percent from 2009 and 11.7 percent from 2008; gas was down 7.0 percent from 2009 and 13.4 percent from 2008; and water (resort gallons) was down 8.3 percent from 2009 and 34.6 percent from 2008. Through aggressive use of computerized energy management systems, green lighting and staff training, La Costa saved enough electricity in 2008 to power 200 homes.
About La Costa Resort and Spa
La Costa brings a taste of the coastal California lifestyle to each and every visitor. Touched by fresh ocean breezes and set within a lovely 400-acre village, La Costa is a place where people can escape the everyday to experience a life of play, leisure and business productivity. Reclining with a loved one in the spa courtyard, playing with children at Splash Landing, discovering tennis or yoga for the very first time, or reconnecting with family over S’more making – La Costa provides an idyllic setting for creating special memories. Escape to La Costa for a business meeting or retreat and take advantage of 100,000 square feet of function space as well as a variety of informal networking settings. For more information on La Costa Resort and Spa, call (800) 854-5000 or visit http://www.lacosta.com.
About KSL Resorts
Founded in 1992, KSL Resorts manages seven time-honored resorts with outstanding recreational amenities including spa, golf, tennis and ski. Each is refined yet unpretentious, rich in legacy and genuine in service. The KSL Resorts portfolio of properties includes:
· Hotel del Coronado (San Diego, Calif.)
· Beach Village at The Del (San Diego, Calif.)
· La Costa Resort and Spa (Carlsbad, Calif.)
· Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa (Rancho Mirage, Calif.)
· Vail Mountain Lodge & Spa (Vail, Colo.)
· Barton Creek Resort & Spa (Austin, Texas)
· The Homestead (Hot Springs, Va.)
For more information, call (866) KSL-7727 or visit http://www.kslresorts.com.
Leah Goldstein/Heidi Baldwin
Murphy O’Brien, Inc.
# # #