The event provided free health checks to men and featured guest
(PRWEB) September 9, 2010
ahm Check It opened its doors to the men of the Illawarra on Friday 20 August at the WIN Entertainment Centre to encourage men of the region to make their health a priority.
ahm Check It, sponsored by ahm Health Insurance opened its doors to the men of the Illawarra on Friday 20 August at the WIN Entertainment Centre to encourage men of the region to make their health a priority.
Lining up to be first to have their health checked was be the Minister for the Illawarra Paul McLeay, Chair of the Healthier Illawarra Men (HIM) Committee Mark McDonald, Evan Thomas, Chief Information Officer of ahm Health Insurance (naming rights sponsors of the event).
Brendan Fitzgerald, Closing the Gap Indigenous Health Project Officer, from the Illawarra Division of General Practice whose role is vital in closing the gap in health inequalities in the indigenous population.
The event provided free health checks to men and featured guest speakers and giveaways throughout the afternoon from 12 noon – 6pm.
The guest speakers and topics were:
- Wayne Gardner – former World Motorcyle Champion (his career and the health measures he undertook to stay on top)
- Nick Hartgerink, Illawarra Mercury columnist and Geoff Phillips, WIN News (prostate cancer awareness)
- Greg Millan (Men¬s Health & Wealthbeing an A-Z Guide)
- Susie Burrell – Nutritionist (well balanced diet)
- John Brogden, Director, Lifeline Australia (depression and the signs)
- Rod Lowe, Prostate Cancer Foundation (prostate cancer awareness)
- Mat Campbell, Captain, Wollongong ahm Hawks (keeping fit)
Over 16 health related exhibitors were in attendance to provide information on specific health matters.
Some of the exhibitors in attendance were:
- Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia
- Southern IML Pathology
- Heart Foundation
- ahm Health Insurance
- Headspace Illawarra
- Cancer Council NSW
- Red Cross Blood Service
- Australian Diabetes Council
- University of Wollongong Graduate School of Medicine
- Savvy Health and Fitness
- Watershed Recovery & Education
- Nutrition Australia
The event attracted over 1,000 men on the day, setting them on the road to better health.
One lucky attendee also won a Samsung 50 inch 3D Plasma TV thanks to Harvey Norman.
About ahm Health Insurance
ahm is the eighth largest health insurance provider and has been caring for the health of Australians for more than thirty five years. In addition to the provision of health insurance, ahm has developed and delivers innovative health management programs. We employ health professionals covering key disciplines including nursing, exercise physiology, dietitians and fitness to deliver these programs.