New York, NY (Vocus) September 7, 2010
TGI Healthworks, a national leader in the formation and production of medical and pharmaceutical conferences, will host the first the Plant Medicine Expo & Healthcare Provider Conference in Denver, Colorado on September 25-26. The PME/HPC is a truly educational conference designed to provide physicians, health care providers and individuals suffering from chronic medical conditions with comprehensive, objective information about medical marijuana.
Unlike the myriad of medical marijuana conferences that cater primarily to long time advocates of medical and recreational marijuana, the PME/HPC targets the uninitiated, under-informed and reticent potential patients and physicians who may be aware of medical marijuana as a potential treatment option, but who otherwise lack the understanding needed to make an educated determination on its appropriateness for their condition.
The conference, which will be broken into three separate parts (a healthcare provider conference; consumer conference; and exhibitor expo), offers a professional forum in which to learn about and discuss the range of issues attendant to the medical marijuana health care industry.
HEALTHCARE PROVIDER CONFERENCE
The Healthcare Provider Conference begins Saturday, September 25 at 8:30 a.m. and will run until 4:30 p.m. This portion of the conference will cater to the needs of physicians and healthcare providers, focusing on current research, legal issues and medical studies. Some of the conference sessions include:
- The Legal Landscape for Medical Marijuana: What Physicians Should Know – Diane Hoffman, Law and Health Program Director, University of Maryland School of Law. Discussion: Expert introduction to the federal law governing medical marijuana (MMJ), the decriminalization of MMJ in 14 states, and the variations of laws in these 14 states with regards to how they affect healthcare professionals.
- Compassionate Treatment for Pain and Palliative Care - Dr. Donald I. Abrams, Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of California San Francisco, Chief of Hematology/Oncology at San Francisco General Hospital and Director of Integrative Oncology Research at the UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine.
Discussion: The effective use of MMJ for patients who are terminally ill or are afflicted by an incurable disease state. Detailed description of how MMJ alleviates or significantly decreases pain associated with these patient states.
- Medical Marijuana - Past, Present, and Future - Dr. Alan Shackleford, Practicing Physician, Amarimed, Denver.
Discussion: A brief history of cannabinoids and their effective use for medical and psychological issues. New uses for MMJ will also be discussed as will a call to action to allow testing of medical marijuana on additional disease states.
- The Truth About Marijuana Addiction - M.L. Mathre, RN, MSN, CARN, Army veteran, and President & Founding Director of Patients Out of Time.
Discussion: Is Marijuana addictive? The research and medical proof behind it. Also, how MMJ can assist in addiction therapy with other substance abuse.
- Bringing MMJ to your Practice - Tim Tipton, 30 year MMJ professional.
Discussion: Expand your practice through MMJ treatment options. A question-and-answer session will be provided at the end to help facilitate open discussion about navigating MMJ business decisions.
The consumer conference, takes place on Saturday and Sunday of the conference, and will provide current medical marijuana patients and potential patients with relevant information to help them make informed decisions about their pain management options. Conference sessions range from current research to culinary options from a well-respected nutritionist. Some examples are:
- The Legal Landscape for Medical Marijuana: What Patients Should Know, - Diane Hoffman, Law and Health Program Director, University of Maryland School of Law.
Discussion: Highlights what patients need to do to avoid arrest and prosecution in states that have passed medical marijuana laws and clarifies distinctions between laws that protect patients from arrest and others that allow arrest but permit patients to use a defense of need for medical marijuana if prosecuted.
- The Truth About Cannabis Addiction - M.L. Mathre, RN, MSN, CARN.
Discussion: Is Marijuana addictive? The research and medical proof behind it. Also, how MMJ can assist in addiction therapy with other substance abuse – the patient perspective
- Your Body and the Cannabinoid System - Dr. Bob Melamede, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs.
Discussion: How medical marijuana works in the body is still largely unknown. Come find out what scientists and physicians have discovered and what still needs to be answered.
- Saying Yes or No, Making the Emotional Decision to Medicate with Marijuana - Laurie Ferguson, PhD, health psychologist.
Discussion: You heard negative statements about marijuana your entire life. How do you make the emotional changes necessary to embrace this drug if you and your prescriber decide it is the right treatment protocol for you?
The Plant Medicine Expo & Healthcare Provider Conference is a truly educational conference designed to provide individuals suffering from chronic medical conditions with comprehensive, objective information about medical marijuana. PME/HPC also provides insights and information to providers of medical marijuana and traditional healthcare providers who are curious about the medical marijuana option and process. Plant Medicine Expo in Denver is the first of several by TGI Healthworks that are being organized in states where medical marijuana is legal. For more information, visit the PME/HPC website: http://www.plantmedicineexpo.com.
About TGI Healthworks
TGI Healthworks is an international educational firm created for physicians and patients. Since 1999, TGI Healthworks has been exclusively focused on education through national grassroots programs within the healthcare discipline that are designed to build and sustain communities of people with chronic diseases. Corporate office: 515 N. Midland Ave., Upper Nyack, NY 10960, +1-845-348-0400.
For more information and registration, visit http://www.PlantMedicineExpo.com. For local and regional media inquiries, contact Michael Hoog, 303-717-2410 or at mhoog(at)corporateadvocates(dot)net. For national and international media inquiries, contact Tamara York, 917-328-4408 or tamara(at)tamarayorkpr(dot)com.
In accordance with Colorado state law, no exhibitor will be able to dispense or display medical marijuana. The Sheraton Denver Downtown hotel is a non-smoking facility.