Washington, DC (PRWEB) September 13, 2010
Atlantic Information Services, Inc. (AIS), publisher of industry-leading newsletters Health Plan Week, AIS's Health Reform Week and Medicare Advantage News is pleased to announce the launch of ACO Business News, a hard-hitting newsletter designed to provide hospitals, health plans, physicians and practitioners with timely news and practical business strategies on Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs). For publication details, visit http://www.aishealth.com/Products/NewsABN.html.
U.S. health care will soon begin transitioning to a value-based reimbursement model under which groups of physicians, hospitals, practitioners and plans -- who will coordinate and manage care for large populations under global budgets -- will share in the savings that result from better outcomes that will cost less. But the specifics won't be clear until HHS issues regulations later this year and lots of individual business decisions are made.
Following are some of the big-dollar questions that lie ahead for those who are drawn to the ACO promise of patient-centered care and shared savings:
- How should ACO-like deals be structured between private insurers and groups of providers and practitioners? How will savings be calculated and shared?
- How should different providers and practitioners be reimbursed? Global capitation? Fee-for-service? Under which circumstances?
- What reporting and measurement tools and standards will be used to manage and assess the performance of ACOs?
- How will ACOs handle significant cost drivers such as pharmacy and the dozens of specialists who will remain outside the ACO?
- What legal problems will providers and plans need to solve for contracting, incentive arrangements, and compliance with Stark, antitrust and fraud-and-abuse laws?
Published monthly, ACO Business News will provide the details of similar structures that private insurers and provider groups have already implemented, with results they have already achieved and advice on how they would now do it differently. Subscribers will also get data-filled reports on patient-centered medical homes and experiments like BCBSMA's alternative quality contracts … and read what many payers and providers are now doing to prepare for the brave new world of ACOs that lies ahead.
Go to http://www.aishealth.com/Products/NewsABN.html for publication details and pricing information.
AIS has been serving the business, management and regulatory needs of business managers in health care for 25 years. Among its award-winning titles are the industry-leading Health Plan Week, Report on Medicare Compliance, Medicare Advantage News, Drug Benefit News, Specialty Pharmacy News, and AIS's Health Reform Week.
With ACO Business News, AIS will continue providing the same reliable, insightful objective news, reporting and business strategies it has been delivering to health business leaders since 1985.