People need step-by-step information to move forward with their book projects
Sandpoint, ID (PRWEB) September 23, 2010
With today's accelerated pace of change in the book publishing industry, it’s more challenging than ever for people to learn how to independently self-publish a book. In the absence of information, many authors turn to subsidy presses, and subsequently regret the decision. Seeing the need for real-world hands-on, how-to "indie" publisher training, Logical Expressions, Inc. created SelfPubU (http://www.SelfPubU.com), the first online training specifically for self-publishers who want to publish a nonfiction book.
Logical Expressions owner and SelfPubU instructor Susan Daffron says, "For the last two years, we have put on the Self-Publishers Online Conference and learned that people need step-by-step information to move forward with their book projects. We couldn't find any training to recommend to our attendees, so we created it ourselves."
At SelfPubU, students receive expert instruction from working publishers. The online courses feature:
- Interactive discussion areas where students can ask questions.
- 24/7 learning. Students can log in and learn when it's convenient.
- Flexible schedules. Courses run continuously, so students don't have to wait for a "new semester" to start a course.
- Modular format. Because people write and publish at different speeds, each course focuses on one specific "how to" topic. Students aren't overwhelmed with information they aren't ready to learn yet.
- Worksheets to help students focus on their own book projects and continue moving forward toward their publishing goals.
Daffron says, "Unlike a lot of publishing programs where people only offer theory, we have practical experience because we published our books almost entirely on our own. Our instructors have an unusual combination of editorial, Web, and graphic design backgrounds, which means few publishing or marketing questions are too technical for us to answer."
Although none of the courses have prerequisites, students can follow SelfPubU course learning tracks that are tailored to where they are in the writing, publishing, and book marketing process. Seven writing-related courses are live online now:
- How to Turn Your Blog Into a Book
- How to Turn Your Book Idea Into a Marketable Book
- How to Come Up with a Marketable Title for Your Book
- How to Create an Outline for Your Nonfiction Book
- How to Create a Strategic Writing Plan and (Really!) Finish Your Book
- How to Find and Select an Editor for Your Book
- How to Get an ISBN for Your Book
Eight more courses on publishing and marketing are in development. Course descriptions are on the Web site at http://www.SelfPubU.com. Logical Expressions is also working with other publishing experts to develop future courses.
Logical Expressions, Inc. (http://www.LogicalExpressions.com) is software and book publishing company based Sandpoint, Idaho. The company has published 10 books since 2006. In addition to publishing its own series of books, Logical Expressions offers book production services. The company is not a subsidy press; rather Logical Expressions helps guide people through the steps to become a successful independent self-publisher.