North Berwick, ME (PRWEB) September 23, 2010
Talk about local color. The south coast of Maine has it all: foliage, festivals, spirited gourmet escapes, oceanfront golf and discount fashion shopping. Here are five tips for a great weekend getaway.
1. Time your visit to see Maine foliage at its peak. Take in the color with a scenic drive, backcountry hike, or leisurely walk through a coastal village. Get the official word at the Maine Office of Tourism's Web site.
2. Maine celebrates harvest time with an abundance of colorful activity. Visit the state’s many fairs and festivals for homespun arts and crafts, local foods, and homegrown music. Stop at a roadside farm stand or local farmers’ market for just-picked fruits and vegetables. Or visit one of southern Maine’s many apple orchards or pumpkin patches and pick your own.
3. Do you like your color with a kick? Deep red Merlot, for example, or sparkling golden ale? Plan a fall getaway to the Cliff House Resort & Spa and enjoy a Wine Tasting Weekend November 5-7 or a Microbrew Tasting Weekend November 12-14. These popular weekends feature beautiful ocean view accommodations, full breakfast, and harvest feast with four-course, five-wine (or beer) gourmet dinner -- and lively commentary.
4. Not every golf course is non-stop green. The Ledges Golf Club in York has colorful vistas everywhere. It’s 18 holes of championship golf, “an-attention grabbing par-72-par layout” and the finest public course on the coast.
5. Add a little color to your wardrobe – just in time for the holidays. Shop the Kittery Outlets and score some great name brands. Or visit the boutiques and galleries of Ogunquit and Kennebunkport for one-of-a-kind finds.
The Cliff House Resort & Spa, located on 70 oceanfront acres in Southern Maine, offers premier guest services, fine dining, a world-class spa and conference facilities. The resort has been owned and operated by the Weare Family since 1872. More information is located on the Web at http://www.cliffhousemaine.com or by calling (207) 361-1000.