Philadelphia, Pa. (Vocus) September 27, 2010
More than 100 breast cancer survivors and supporters from around the Philadelphia-area are expected to join Keystone Mercy Health Plan, the largest Medical Assistance managed care organization in Pennsylvania, ‘Praise is The Cure’ and the Health Ministry Program as they convene a day-long celebration of breast cancer awareness. The program will include mammograms, health screenings and informative workshops focused on cancer prevention, detection and treatment. The event will also feature a “pamper party,” in which breast cancer survivors will receive massages and other spa treatments. In addition, there will be a gospel concert featuring Lonnie Hunter and Structure, the Brockington Ensemble, CeCe McGhee, a radio personality from Praise 103.9, and the Praise is the Cure Cancer Survivor Choir.
The day will feature testimonials from breast cancer survivors, information sessions about breast cancer risks and prevention, a workshop for men who are supporting loved ones affected by the disease, as well as on-site mammography screenings.
The event, which will be hosted on Saturday, October 2, 2010, by the Mount Airy Church of God in Christ, is part of the ‘Praise is The Cure Weekend,’ a George E. Thorne Development Center (GETDC) project, centered on breast cancer awareness and prevention.
According to the American Cancer Society, there will be an estimated 207,090 new cases of breast cancer in women in 2010. Pennsylvania is estimated to have 10,000 new cases of breast cancer, ranking the state fifth in the nation after California, New York, Florida and Texas.
- Gospel Artists Lonnie Hunter and Structure
- Praise 103.9 Radio Personalities Lonnie Hunter and CeCe McGhee
- Gospel Groups The Brockington Ensemble and Praise is the Cure Voices of Praise breast cancer survivor choir
- Maria Pajil Battle, senior vice president, Public Affairs and Marketing, Keystone Mercy Health Plan
- Anita T. Conner, founder, George E. Thorne Development Center and ‘Praise is The Cure’
- Bishop Ernest Morris, pastor, Mount Airy Church of God in Christ
When: Saturday, October 2, 2010
- Mammography Screenings: 2:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Cancer Survivors “Pamper Party” Reception: 4:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Welcoming Remarks: 6:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Gospel Concert: 7:00 pm - 9:00 p.m.
Where: Mount Airy Church of God in Christ
6401 Ogontz Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19126