In particular, the AD helps prevent Norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships; this helps to improve the health of seafarers and offshore workers in enclosed ship environments.
Milton Keynes, UK (PRWeb UK) September 27, 2010
Inov8, the wholly owned subsidiary of the AIM listed company Mid-States plc has appointed Hutton’s, the UK’s leading ship supplier, to become sole UK shipping and offshore distributor of its innovative air disinfection system, the AD, which helps to prevent the airborne spread of a wide range of viruses, bacteria and fungus.
Inov8’s Air Disinfection (AD) units are currently in use within the healthcare industry, and this partnership marks a significant move into the maritime and hospitality industry that has been challenged by virus outbreaks over the years. In particular, the AD helps prevent Norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships; this helps to improve the health of seafarers and offshore workers in enclosed ship environments.
John MacDonald, General Manager of Hutton’s Medical says: “Hutton’s is at the forefront of improving seafarer health and when a product comes along which has such a drastic positive impact, we have no hesitation in putting our resources behind it. This unit is being used in UK hospitals to help prevent outbreaks of infection and it has the potential to become invaluable aboard ships too. In fact Hutton’s is so impressed by the product that we are installing one in our head office to prevent the spread of colds.”
Keith Esdon, Inov8’s Central Support Manager, explains how the system works: “Operating within enclosed spaces, the unit generates a constant stream of hydroxyl radicals (OH). This process, which occurs naturally outdoors, does not usually take place indoors because it lacks the necessary ingredients. The AD unit effectively replicates the process that goes on outdoors.”
He continues: “Hydroxyl radicals scavenge hydrogen atoms from viruses and bacteria. This oxidation process denatures the microorganisms and alters the way they interact with humans.”
Inov8’s AD system is a winner in the 2009 Smart Solutions Programme for the UK NHS. The system is already in use in clinics and hospitals throughout the UK, Spain, Saudi Arabia and India. It is also used in commercial offices and in government buildings worldwide. Inov8 Science Ltd is currently conducting further tests specifically relevant to the shipping industry.
For further information, please contact:
Inov8 Science Ltd
Mill Court, Featherstone Road
Wolverton, Milton Keynes MK12 5EU
Tel. +44 (0) 1908 315500
Web Site: http://www.inov8.com
Note to editors:
Inov8, The Air Disinfection Company
- INOV8 Science Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of the AIM listed company, Mid-States PLC.
- Trials on the Inov8 AD at the Health Protection Agency's Porton Down Laboratory have demonstrated 99.999% reduction in the MS2 Coliphage (the standard surrogate used for viral tests) in addition to Staphylococcus epidermidis. Similarly, trials at Leeds University have shown dramatic levels of pathogen reduction in aerobiological chambers that were dosed with Staphylococcus Aureus and Clostridium Difficile.
- Installations at several UK hospitals have produced remarkable results, significantly reducing ward closures. To read a recent Press Release from the Hereford Hospitals NHS Trust visit: http://www.herefordhospital.nhs.uk/Portals/0/Press_Media/2009/Excellent_Results_at_Hereford_Hospitals_NHS_Trust_280909_v2.pdf
- Please also view a BBC News report at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8288049.stm
- Each AD treats air space of approximately 10m x 10m x 3m in typical rooms.
- Inov8 Science Ltd is shortly releasing a paper which provides a correlation between reduction of airborne pathogens and reduction of infection rates in hospitals. This was presented during the HPA conference at Warwick University in September 2010.
- Hutton’s provides the UK’s ‘one-stop shop’ facility providing the full range of products and services to the International Shipping and the Offshore Industry.
- With a history dating back almost 200 years, Hutton’s ensures the highest standard are provided to customers from its large branch network covering all UK ports.