Bellevue, Wash. (PRWEB) October 7, 2010
Likewise announced today that the latest version of Ubuntu - shipping this Sunday - will include Likewise Open 6 in its repository, enabling easy integration of Ubuntu machines into networks using Microsoft Active Directory.
Likewise Open has been included in the Ubuntu repository since the 8.04 LTS (Long Term Support) release in April 2008.
Likewise Open joins desktops and servers running Linux or Unix, and Macs, to an organization's existing Active Directory. With more than 70,000 organizations worldwide, Likewise Open is the most widely used Active Directory authentication engine for Mac, Linux and Unix systems. Likewise Enterprise builds on the authentication engine of Likewise Open, making it easy for IT managers to authenticate users, control access to applications and data, centrally manage settings with group policies, and create reports for regulatory audits.
"Likewise enables greater adoption in the enterprise by giving administrators a powerful, free, open source tool to join Ubuntu machines to the network via Active Directory," said Matt Asay, COO, Canonical. "Likewise Open is easily downloaded and installed via the Ubuntu software repository."
"Canonical has been a major player in cloud computing since 9.10," said Tracy Lothringer, director of strategic alliances, Likewise. "Ubuntu 10.10 builds on that and makes it more important than ever to authenticate users in the potentially most heterogeneous environment of all - the cloud."
About Likewise Open
Likewise Open is a free, open source application that joins Linux, Unix, and Mac machines to Microsoft Active Directory and securely authenticates users with their domain credentials.
- Joins non-Windows systems to Active Directory domains in a single step from the command line or from a GUI
- Authenticates users with a single user name and password on both Windows and non-Windows systems
- Enforces the same password policies for non-Windows users and Windows users
- Supports multiple forests with one-way and two-way cross forest trusts
- Caches credentials in case your domain controller goes down
- Provides single sign-on for SSH and Putty
- Next-generation authentication engine that supports Kerberos, NTLM, and SPNEGO
- No schema changes to Active Directory required
New to Likewise Open 6
- Even faster Logon: Likewise Open 6.0 significantly improves logon times for users of many groups - in particular, large, complex groups.
- Enhanced password change support: Likewise 6.0 provides users in complex Active Directory topologies - involving multiple forests and a one-way trust - a means of updating a password to comply with network policies.
- Easy upgrade: The new registry mechanism in Likewise Open 6.0 significantly improves upgrade support to allow customers an easier way to apply new versions of Likewise Open -- maintaining current configurations.
- Smart service manager: Sequences the start up of daemons, maintaining proper dependencies, significantly reducing errors and providing administrators a common model across Unix, Linux and Mac platforms.
Likewise provides integration and identity management solutions to improve security and operational efficiencies and to help achieve regulatory compliance in mixed networks. Likewise Open lets organizations securely authenticate Linux, Unix and Mac users with Microsoft Active Directory. Likewise Enterprise includes all the core authentication technology that comes with Likewise Open, plus world-class migration, group policy, auditing and reporting modules. More information is available at the company's website, http://www.likewise.com.
Likewise is a trademark of Likewise Software. All other trademarks referenced herein are the property of their respective owners.