Philadelphia, PA (Vocus) October 5, 2010
More than 50 volunteers from Keystone Mercy Health Plan, the largest Medical Assistance managed care organization in Pennsylvania, the Philadelphia Panthers, a local minor league football team and local church parishioners, will join in constructing the first playground for 80-year-old Saint Rose of Lima Catholic School, on Friday, October 8, 2010, in West Philadelphia, as part of Keystone Mercy’s Safe Playground program. The program’s mission is to reduce the number of preventable injuries suffered by children, as well as to address childhood obesity by encouraging healthy, physical activity through the construction of safe play areas.
The groundbreaking ceremony will begin on Friday, October 8, 2010, at 7:00 a.m., with the construction of the playground to begin immediately thereafter, replacing an old parking lot.
Following the construction, Councilman Curtis Jones, Jr. will accompany Keystone Mercy officials and television actor Theron “Chico” Benymon in a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 2:00 p.m. to celebrate the completion of the 7,400-square-foot-playground and volleyball court. After the ribbon cutting, children from Saint Rose of Lima Catholic School will celebrate by playing on the newly constructed playground.
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic School has more than 240 students, grades pre-k through eighth, and has been open for more than 80 years in the Carroll Park section of West Philadelphia.
Who: Ground Breaking Attendees/Ribbon-Cutting Participants
- Anne Morrissey, executive vice president and chief operating officer, the AmeriHealth Mercy Family of Companies, which includes Keystone Mercy Health Plan
- Curtis Jones, Jr., Philadelphia City Council, 4th District
- Reverend Monsignor Wilfred J. Pashley, pastor, Saint Rose of Lima Church
- Sister Eileen Therese Gillespie, I.H.M., principal, Saint Rose of Lima Catholic School
- Students, Saint Rose of Lima Catholic School
- Philadelphia Panthers Minor League Football Team Members
- Theron “Chico” Benymon, actor
Friday, October 8, 2010
7:00 a.m. – Ground Breaking
7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. – Playground Build
2:00 p.m. – Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
Saint Rose of Lima Catholic School
1522 N. Wanamaker St. (between 58th and 59th Streets, near Landsdowne Ave.)
Philadelphia, PA 19131
# # #