Tokyo (PRWEB) October 15, 2010
GMO Internet, Inc. in partnership with Acrodea, Inc. today announces the upcoming launch of GMO Social Apps Initiative Phase 2 – Android Project. The project will offer game developers fast, low cost, safeguarded entry into the Android app market by providing a new breed of advanced development tools that enable easy cross-platform game development and source code porting from iPhone®, together with a secure application distribution platform, marketed under the @GMO GameCenter brand.
GMO Android Project
As smart phones continue to command a growing share of the global mobile device market, we are seeing a massive increase in application downloads, and Android is fast emerging as the leading operating system worldwide. However, despite being attracted by the open environment many developers are wary of being able to protect their digital rights through existing app sales platforms and are concerned about the time and cost involved with developing apps supported by the many devices that use the Android OS.
In response to these concerns, GMO Internet Group and Acrodea have come together to launch GMO Social Apps Initiative Phase 2 – Android Project to deliver fast, low cost safeguarded entry to potentially the largest gaming platform ever.
Under the partnership, GMO Internet will operate and market @GMO GameCenter while Acrodea will provide application development/porting tools and technical support. By leveraging the expertise and technologies of the two companies, the alliance maximizes project synergy.
About the Project
The GMO Android Project resolves the concerns that many content providers have with existing distribution methods for Android apps and offers low cost, fast, safeguarded entry to the Android apps market. As part of the project launch @GMO GameCenter will host a game application contest.
(Official English language website coming soon)
Ten Project Merits
1. Worldwide distribution through @GMO GameCenter
2. VIVID Runtime® development tools provided free for developing apps that run on multiple operating systems and devices
3. Development support for source code porting from iPhone
4. Digital rights protected platform – no cancellation, illegal copy prevention
5. Payment processing systems by all major Japanese carriers supported
6. Apps marketed to almost 30 million GMO Internet Group media users in Japan
7. Opportunity to break into the Japanese mobile game market
8. Technical documents available in English and Japanese – full support in both languages
9. Free international technical seminars from summer 2011
10. Android game application contest: 30 million yen (over US 350,000 dollars) in prize money
Android Game Application Contest
The Android Game Application Contest will offer a total of 30 million yen (over US 350,000 dollars) in prize money to game apps downloaded via @GMO GameCenter. Two major prize winners will receive 3 million yen (approx. US35,000 dollars) each, and a total of 150 prizes will be awarded including awards in each game category. Winners will be determined by user ratings. In addition winning apps will be marketed to GMO Internet Group’s media user base of almost 30 million users in Japan.
- Full contest details to be announced November 1 at the official project launch.
GMO Android Project: Conference
On November 1, GMO Internet and Acrodea will invite content providers, developers and producers with an interest in creating apps and games for the Android platform to attend the official launch of the project at a conference to be held in Tokyo, Japan. As well as introducing our vision for the GMO Android Project, the conference will feature a keynote speech on the future of the Android market and a developer panel discussion.
*The initial project launch conference will be held in Tokyo in Japanese. International launch to be announced.
Date: November 1, 2010 6:30-830pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Program (Tentative) :
1. Opening (GMO Internet CEO, Masatoshi Kumagai, Acrodea President, Junya Tsutsumi)
2. Keynote Speaker: Fujio Maruyama, Chairman, Japan Android Group
Theme: Android Market Landscape
3. Introduction to @GMO GameCenter
5. Introduction to VIVID Runtime®
6. Panel discussion: Android app market
7. Contest outline
Supporters of the @GMO Android Project
Carrier Payment Processing Platform
SOFTBANK MOBILE Corp
Special Media Partner
Famitsu (the most widely read video game news magazine in Japan)
Published by: ENTERBRAIN, INC.
NAMCO BANDAI Games Inc.
Capcom Co. Ltd.
TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.
Hudson Soft Company, Limited
SNK PLAYMORE Corporation
PopCap Games, Inc.
Arc System Works Co.,Ltd.
NEPRO IT Co. Ltd.
Brizo Interactive Corp.
DIGITAL Hearts Co.,Ltd.
Web Site Expert, gihyo.jp
Japan Android Group (NPO)
About GMO Internet Group
GMO Internet Group, headquartered in Japan, is a leading force in the Internet industry offering one of the most comprehensive ranges of Internet services worldwide. The group holds top domestic market share in domain registration, web hosting, and payment processing and provides a host of other Internet services including global online security services, ecommerce solutions, and Internet advertising to both businesses and individuals. At the centre of the group is GMO Internet, Inc. a company listed on the prestigious first section of the Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE: 9449).