This year’s winners were honored for their traditional work, as well as for their creative work in digital, mobile, social media and web categories. While our platforms have changed over time, the marketing fact remains – ‘a great idea is great forever.’
Boston, MA (PRWEB) October 16, 2010
More than 900 marketing and advertising dignitaries representing the nation’s most recognizable brands and agencies attended The Ad Club’s 50th anniversary of the Hatch Awards at the Citi Performing Arts Center Wang Theatre on Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010.
Under the theme “a great idea is great forever,” the event celebrated the past 50 years of creativity in the region, and honored the top current creative work found throughout New England’s advertising and marketing industry.
Earlier this year The Ad Club flew in an all-star crew of judges representing some of the nation’s top agencies. They paged through 892 entries from more than 100 different companies. At the ceremony, The Ad Club awarded 23 gold winning entries, 98 silver winning entries and 109 bronze awards. New categories this year include “mobile application,” “best spot for super budget under $15,000,” “experiential” and “games.”
“Many local brands have been honored by the Hatch Awards over the past 50 years, including John Hancock, Liberty Mutual, Dunkin Donuts, Ocean Spray and Fidelity,” said Kathy Kiely, president of The Ad Club. “This year’s winners were honored for their traditional work, as well as for their creative work in digital, mobile, social media and web categories. While our platforms have changed over time, the marketing fact remains – ‘a great idea is great forever.’”
In addition to well known agencies such as Arnold Worldwide, Hill Holliday and Mullen, newer agencies in the Hatch 50 spotlight included Allen & Gerritsen, Brand Content, Fort Franklin, Full Contact, PJA Advertising, BEAM Interactive, MMB and NAIL.
The awards show is named in honor of the late Francis W. Hatch (1897- 1975), who began his career in advertising at BBDO and went on to become the head of their Boston office. He was a copywriter, songwriter, storyteller and humanitarian. In choosing the title of this event, award show founders decided that it would carry the name of a person who was respected for the qualities for which The Ad Club stood. Hatch was unanimously selected.
At present day, Kiely says the local marketing communications industry is strong. The Ad Club released a benchmark study with the Boston Redevelopment Authority this summer. The marketing and communications sector has a direct effect of $16.3 billion on the MA GRP and is responsible for more than 143,000 jobs in the Commonwealth, equaling 4.4% of total jobs.
A complete list of The Hatch Awards gold and silver winners is available by request. The specialty award-winners of the 2010 Hatch Awards include the following:
Marketer of the Year:
- This award is given to a company who is partnered with a Boston agency, and is committed to excellence in branding and to the Boston creative economy.
- Winner: Fidelity Investments for their work with agency Arnold Worldwide in keeping Boston’s creative industry vibrant over the years, including the recent “Green Line” campaign.
- Presented to a junior creative person that is recognized by their company as extraordinary.
- Winner: Julie McCullagh, associate web designer at Conover Tuttle Pace
- The Ad Club partnered with Boston.com and selected 9 commercials. The online audience judged and rated the ads.
- Winner: Arnold Worldwide for the spot “Doc Quiz” for client McDonalds.
Yahoo! Digital Innovation Award:
- This is a new specialty award that recognizes the most creative use of digital media. Yahoo! hosted a contest between five of the top nominees, which received more than 5,000 votes from the industry.
- Winner: BEAM Interactive for its ‘Clink Clink’ phone application, which allows users to share contact information instantly and celebrate at the same time.
Best of Show:
- Selected by the Hatch Awards judges, the award represents the ‘cream of the crop’ of all submissions into the 2010 Hatch Awards.
- Winner: Brand Content for their newspaper campaign called “Father Daughter,” created for the Boston Breakers.
The Ad Club worked with partnering teams from Arnold Worldwide and Cramer in producing the awards show. Additional sponsors include Yahoo!, Allen & Gerritsen, Boston Globe Media, The Creative Group, John Hancock, Liberty Mutual, Ocean Spray, adbeast, Boston Business Journal, Cakes for Occasions, Digitas, Moody Street Pictures, UniGraphic, Aerva, Inc., AMP Agency, Cone, Conover Tuttle Pace, Continuum, LocaModa, Ogee, Modernista!, Original Art Studios, PARTNERS+simons, Soundtrack and Finish Editorial.
About The Ad Club:
Founded in 1904, The Ad Club is the trade group for the New England communications industry. Focused on networking, professional development, advocacy, and diversity, The Ad Club organizes more than 30 events and programs every year. Legacy events such as the Hatch Awards, Media Auction, and Rosoff Awards highlight and celebrate the latest in new media and the digital landscape. The Ad Club's membership represents the best in class advertising agencies, media companies, and brands in the New England region.