Pearson understands that school budgets throughout the nation are tight. That's why our 2010 Social Studies Virtual Conference is being hosted completely online. Any educator can participate, without paying registration fees or incurring travel expenses. They'll have on-demand access 24-7 to the conference and all of our events from the convenience of their computers
New York (PRWEB) October 15, 2010
Hot on the heels of Pearson's work with Virginia's "Beyond Textbooks" initiative to pilot social studies curriculum on the iPad, the education and services company announced today its 2010 Social Studies Virtual Conference, which will extend for two weeks, beginning October 18 through October 29.
Like a traditional conference, educators will get access to live presentations, learn about new products, enjoy professional development opportunities, and network with their peers at the virtual conference. Teachers and school officials nationwide can register for the free, online conference at http://www.pearsonschool.com/SSVcon.
Presentations and events will occur every day during the two-week conference and cover a range of elementary, middle school, and high school social studies hot topics, including:
- What is the Place of a History Textbook in the 21st Century Classroom?, presented by Dr. James W. Fraser, professor of history and education at New York University
- Barack Obama and Presidential Strategies for Governing, presented by Dr. George C. Edwards, distinguished professor at Texas A&M University and author of Government in America
- Using CNN Student News to Inform and Engage Your Students, presented by Donna Krache, executive producer of CNN Student News
- Behind the Scenes: myStories Journalists Bring the World to Your Students, presented by filmmakers associated with Pearson's myWorld Geography program
- Using Primary Sources from Historic Sites, presented by Aaron Wolfe, coordinator of Colonial Williamsburg's Teacher Institute, and Stacy Hassellbacher, associate producer of educational media at Colonial Williamsburg
- Take Your Classroom Global, presented by Michael Furdyk, co-founder of TakingItGlobal
- Bringing your Classroom to Life with the National Parks Resources, presented by Wendeth (Wendy) Davis, servicewide education program coordinator with the National Parks
For a full list of speakers, visit http://www.pearsonschool.com/SSVcon. Each session will be recorded for on-demand viewing and archived for at least 6 months following the end of the conference.
"Pearson understands that school budgets throughout the nation are tight. That's why our 2010 Social Studies Virtual Conference is being hosted completely online. Any educator can participate, without paying registration fees or incurring travel expenses. They'll have on-demand access 24-7 to the conference and all of our events from the convenience of their computers," said Pearson's Glenn Diedrich.
The 2010 Social Studies Virtual Conference offers educators the opportunity learn more about Pearson's social studies solutions through engaging videos and online demonstrations, including links to the social studies curriculum apps from the Virginia iPad pilot program. Pearson's featured exhibitions will include programs and services at all grade levels:
- Elementary -- Scott Foresman Social Studies and free Symbols of America whiteboard activities
- Middle grades -- myWorld Geography, myWorld History, and Prentice Hall Civics
- High school -- Prentice Hall United States History, Colonial Williamsburg's Idea of America, Prentice Hall World History, and Magruder's American Government
Educators can follow 2010 Social Studies Virtual Conference updates and discussions via Pearson's Facebook page and via @pearson or the hashtag #SSVCon10 on Twitter.
Pearson (NYSE:PSO), the global leader in education, teacher training, education technology and school solutions, provides innovative print and digital education materials for preK through college, student information systems and learning management systems, teacher professional development, career certification programs, and testing and assessment products that set the standard for the industry. For more information, visit http://www.pearsoned.com.
For more information, press only: