Salinas, CA (PRWEB) October 22, 2010
Top 10 Produce LLC today announced its commitment to equip small, independent growers with a low-cost outlet for meeting the imminent traceability requirements outlined in the Produce Traceability Initiative (PTI) and to provide a vehicle to distribute on a national wholesale basis.
The industry-led PTI was created to provide retailers and consumers with easily accessible information leading back to the brand in the event of an outbreak of food-borne illness. However, Top 10 has taken this one step further with 100% traceability leading back to the item, place and individual grower.
“As a Top 10 grower, absolute transparency is guaranteed with a direct line from food to farmer,” said John Bailey, Executive Director, Top 10 Produce LLC. “Our traceability solutions harness standard technology to promote trust and open communication between consumer and farmer. Getting to know your farmer and your food is just a click away.”
Using a cell phone to scan the barcode or a computer to enter the barcode data, consumers can become instantly acquainted with the unique attributes of the farm, the farmer, and the product itself. Growers can also post photos or video clips to further connect with their customer.
For a flat annual fee of $280, Top 10 Produce provides a value-packed bundle of services, including:
- Assignment of unique Global Location Number (GLN) to each grower and Global Trade Identification Number (GTIN) to each of grower’s commodities (note: all GS1 fees are paid by Top 10 Produce)
- Grower-specific barcode label design to ensure PTI compliance
- Databar-enabled item-specific “Know Your Farmer” product marketing
- Brand management and monitoring utilizing GTINs and Top 10 Produce database applications
- “Know Your Farmer” social media program through KYF2.com
- Personalized editable Web page for each Top 10 grower
Top 10’s visionary approach to boosting the competitiveness of small independent farms is supported by funding from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) Small Business Innovation Research competitive grants program.
For more information, visit http://www.top10produce.com.