Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) October 28, 2010
While many Prop 203 (AZ medical marijuana) and Prop 19 (CA legalization) advocates think "It's Only Marijuana," many Journey Healing Centers clients who enter drug abuse treatment addicted to cocaine, heroin, marijuana and meth often say, "If only I hadn't started smoking marijuana." After working in Law Enforcement and Night Clubs in Las Vegas, the Co-Founders are passionate about educating and assisting families in overcoming addiction and bringing to light the massive abuse, which is why Journey Healing Centers is releasing this Venice Beach, CA Video where dispensaries actively solicit new clients, 420 Doctors give out medical marijuana cards for any pain, and smoking lounges are making this beach town look more like Amsterdam.
Vote No on Prop 203 and Medical Marijuana Abuse
As seen in the Venice Beach video, these propositions are about much more than medical marijuana. The solicitors are not looking for critically ill patients and instead announce to people walking by, "Walk-ins welcome everybody," "Get just what the doctor ordered," "Hash bars, smoking lounges, dispensaries upstairs," and "You can get medical marijuana, right now."
Journey Healing Centers is one of the only Addiction Centers publically opposing Prop 203 and Prop 19 because the propositions are misleading and will increase addiction. While these Addiction Experts support medical marijuana use for critically ill patients, the reality is that only 2% of the current patients use it for serious illnesses (Billings Gazzette). And there is already an FDA approved drug on the market for this purpose, Marinol. The Medical Marijuana Project (MPP) is misleading the public by saying Prop 203 was written to help people with HIV, Cancer and Glaucoma (MPP's website clearly states that their goal is to legalize marijuana, which seems more about money versus helping sick people.) If the MPP goal is to legalize marijuana, why not come out and state that big objective and offer to educate the public about the risks of smoking marijuana? Pro marijuana groups and individuals say that treatment centers are opposed because they will lose clients if it passes. The exact opposite is true, it will increase those addicted to substances, yet Journey Healing Centers still opposes because of the misleading prop and the lack of education the MPP is providing on the subject.
The Medical Marijuana Project (MPP) is also misleading the public with stories about the importance of keeping people out of jail who need medical marijuana for critical illnesses and that legalizing it will reduce crime. The reality is that out of the half a million people serving time in prison for drug offenses, less than 1 percent are in prison for possession of marijuana (Chicago Tribune). The other 99% are serving time for drug dealing and distributing. Dispensaries also attract criminal activity, including drug trafficking, money laundering, assaults, burglaries, armed robberies, gang activity, home invasions and even murders (as seen in Los Angeles.) In Colorado Springs (where medical marijuana is legal), a new Police Department is being formed just to keep watch over the industry (The Gazette.)
Have the marijuana advocates thought about the consequences if marijuana passes for recreational use, as California is proposing in Prop 19? Marijuana is still illegal on a federal level, and the FDA has never approved a medical drug to be smoked. Eric Holder, US Attorney General, sent a letter to the DEA, stating, "If passed, this legislation will greatly complicate federal drug enforcement efforts to the detriment of our citizens" (New York Times.) The DEA has already raided medical marijuana clinics in Las Vegas, where medical marijuana is state approved, and took the patients records. It's time for Voters to wake-up and Vote No on Prop 203, Vote No on Prop 19, and Vote No on Marijuana Abuse because It's Not Only Marijuana.
Journey Healing Centers operates drug and alcohol rehabilitation centers in Arizona and Utah, and specializes in holistic healing programs, family treatment and has a Sobriety for Life Program. Their work and success stories have been featured on MTV's Gone Too Far, PBS, ABC News 15 Phoenix, Fox 10 Phoenix, ABC 4 Salt Lake City, KUAT PBS Tucson, USAToday.com, Psychology Today and in People Magazine. Journey Healing Centers has supported thousands dealing with addictions through Residential Treatment Programs, Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOP), Sober Living Homes, Aftercare and a Free 24-Hour Hotline with Addiction Specialists: 1-866-774-5119.
New York Times
Pot Cops a possible side effect of medical marijuana (Colorado Gazzette)
# # #