vindicating Microsoft's and any other company's use of digital-compression patents over the Internet, in audio and video devices (such as MP3s, DVDs and Blu-ray), and in other key technologies.
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) November 4, 2010
Fish & Richardson announced today that 25 of its attorneys have been named in the 2011 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, including three attorneys from the firm's San Diego office. The Best Lawyers guide is based on a peer-review survey in which tens of thousands of leading attorneys throughout the country confidentially cast their votes on the legal abilities of other lawyers in their specialties. Because lawyers cannot purchase a spot on the list, inclusion in Best Lawyers is considered a singular honor.
The San Diego-based Fish attorneys on the list and the areas of law in which they are listed are:
- Juanita R. Brooks, Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and White-Collar Criminal Defense. She has a nationwide trial practice, specializing in complex intellectual property litigation. Brooks has handled more than 80 trials in her career and her average yearly caseload includes over 20 active patent cases. Her litigation experience includes numerous cases involving intellectual property, product liability, and qui tam litigation. Her many honors and awards include being listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1987. In 2009, she was named to the Minority Corporate Counsel Association's national list of "Leading Law Firm Rainmakers." MCCA chose just fourteen attorneys for this honor, and Brooks is one of four women on the list.
- John E. Gartman, Intellectual Property Law. Gartman is a trial lawyer who specializes in high technology patent infringement litigation. He received the distinguished 2009 California Lawyer Attorney of the Year (CLAY) Award from California Lawyer Magazine for his defense of Microsoft in its epic seven-year digital compression patent litigation against Alcatel-Lucent, "vindicating Microsoft's and any other company's use of digital-compression patents over the Internet, in audio and video devices (such as MP3s, DVDs and Blu-ray), and in other key technologies." He has also been named to the National Law Journal's Year's Top 10 Defense Wins, and the National Law Journal's Appellate Hot List for winning the largest patent appeal in history. He was also recognized by IP Worldwide as one of the "Magnificent 7" Young Trial Lawyers in IP in 2002.
- Nancy L. Stagg, Commercial Litigation. Her practice emphasizes the defense of consumer class actions, unfair competition and false advertising litigation, as well as a wide variety of business and intellectual property litigation, including trade secret litigation. This is her fourth consecutive year being named to the Best Lawyers list. Stagg's many additional honors include being named one as one of the Top 25 Female San Diego Super Lawyers and one of the San Diego's "Top Ten" attorneys by the San Diego Daily Transcript. She was recently named Co-Chair of the Southern District of California Lawyers Representative Committee to the Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference.
The other Fish lawyers on the list are:
- Ruffin B. Cordell, Intellectual Property Law
- Timothy Devlin, Intellectual Property Law
- David L. Feigenbaum, Intellectual Property Law and Technology Law
- Roger D. Feldman, Corporate Law and Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Anthony L. Fletcher, Intellectual Property Law
- Michael E. Florey, Intellectual Property Law
- Stephen E. Fox, Labor and Employment Law
- David R. Francescani, Intellectual Property Law
- Timothy A. French, Intellectual Property Law
- David J. Healey, Intellectual Property Law
- Gilbert H. Hennessey, Intellectual Property Law
- Charles Hieken, Intellectual Property Law
- Robert E. Hillman, Intellectual Property Law
- William B. Mateja, Commercial Litigation
- William J. Marsden, Jr., Intellectual Property Law
- Douglas E. McCann, White-Collar Criminal Defense
- Michael J. McKeon, Intellectual Property Law
- Thomas M. Melsheimer, Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and White-Collar Criminal Defense
- John B. Pegram, Intellectual Property Law
- Frank P. Porcelli, Intellectual Property Law
- Frank E. Scherkenbach, Intellectual Property Law
- Dorothy P. Whelan, Intellectual Property Law
Published since 1983, the Best Lawyers guide has earned the respect of the profession, the media, and the public, as the most reliable, unbiased source of legal referrals anywhere. The Best Lawyers in America, which is based on more than three million detailed evaluations of lawyers by other lawyers, includes approximately 39,000 attorneys in 80 specialties covering all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Fish & Richardson is a leading global law firm with more than 350 attorneys and technology specialists practicing intellectual property strategy and counseling, intellectual property litigation, and business litigation. Fish does cutting-edge legal work for innovative clients who value their intellectual property. The firm was recently named top patent prosecution firm (Managing Intellectual Property, February 2010), was honored as an IP Firm of the Year (Law360, January 2010), and named a finalist for top IP Litigation Department of the Year (American Lawyer, January 2010). Fish handles more patent litigation than any other law firm (IP Law & Business, September 2009), is the number one IP firm for America's biggest companies (Corporate Counsel, September 2009), and was named the number one firm in the world for PCT filings (Managing Intellectual Property, October 2009). The firm also handled two of the top ten most important IP cases of 2009 (Managing Intellectual Property, January 2010). For more information, visit http://www.fr.com.
Contact: Teresa Warren or Kelly Largey
TW2 Marketing, Inc.
Fish & Richardson
Twitter: @teresawarren and @tw2marketing