Q3 Mobile Base Station Contracts at 131 as India Rebounds

Share Article

3G/4G Contracts at 66% of Total while 2G is 34%

Total contracts awarded within the wireless industry for Q3 reached 131, down 2% from Q3 2009 levels and up 32% sequentially according to the latest report from EJL Wireless Research, titled “Global Base Station Contract Analysis, Third Quarter 2010.”

“Huawei Technologies secured 59% of total contract awards during the September 30, 2010 ended quarter, beating ZTE (33%). Chinese OEMs captured 92% of overall contracts in Q3 with India rebounding as the most active region despite ongoing issues relating to the telecom equipment ban. Five Indian 3G license holders awarded W-CDMA/HSPA contracts during the quarter,” says founder and President, Earl Lum.

“GSM technology continues to hold onto roughly one third of the market as network capacity expansions continue in Africa, the Middle East and Asia Pacific. Equipment swap outs are also driving demand in Western and Eastern Europe as operators upgrade to RRU and multi-mode base stations. Chinese OEMs continue to dominate the CDMA2000 segment as they captured 97% of global contracts in Q3 with more operators upgrading to EVDO Rev. B technology. Huawei Technologies led the way with 60% of total W-CDMA/HSPA/HSPA+/TD-SCDMA awards. With the pending merger of the wireless business of Motorola with Nokia Siemens Networks, we are effectively discontinuing the analysis of Motorola in this report series,” says Lum.

The base station contract analysis reports are issued on a quarterly and annual basis and provide a unique perspective on the global cellular/PCS base station contract awards and demand for mobile base station equipment covering all major OEMs including Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Huawei Technologies, Nokia Siemens Networks, and ZTE.

About EJL Wireless Research
EJL Wireless Research provides proprietary, accurate and cutting-edge market analysis and consulting services on the wireless technology ecosystem. The firm focuses its research on all vertical elements of the wireless ecosystem including mobile subscribers, mobile operators, mobile handsets, mobile infrastructure and mobile content. In addition, the firm provides analysis across horizontal technology suppliers including RF semiconductor materials, RF semiconductor/components, subsystems and OEMs. Our goal is to provide our clients with mission critical market analysis and information.

EJL Wireless Research is managed by Earl Lum. Mr. Lum has 18 years of experience within the wireless industry including 8 years as an Equity Research Analyst on Wall Street covering the global wireless industry. The company is headquartered in Salem, New Hampshire, USA. For more information about EJL Wireless Research, please visit the company’s website at http://www.ejlwireless.com.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Earl Lum
Visit website