Dogs are fun and healthy for the family but they can be dangerous for young children.
Denver, CO (PRWEB) November 13, 2010
Quicksimpleinsurance warns that dog owners of certain aggressive breeds are running in to further complications obtaining homeowners insurance coverage.
Dogs are fun and even healthy for family relationships. However certain breeds can be unpredictable. Recently a 7-day-old newborn was attacked and killed by a pit bull in New Port Richey, Florida. The baby's parents explained to police their dog had never showed any aggression before. Baby Justin was only left alone on his bed for few seconds while the pit bull suddenly turned violent. The dog was later euthanized in response to the incident.
For the most part dogs are loving and fun. However there are certain scenarios such as the occurrence in Florida where they can turn extremely dangerous.
These risks should be taken into careful consideration. Homeowners need to make sound judgment when they bring home new dogs…especially certain breeds (dobermans, rottweilers, pit bulls, etc). It is advised to contact their insurance before making these decisions.
Home Insurance Companies Getting Jittery
The insurance coverage liability related to dog related injuries is something everY dog owner needs to take into consideration. Given the recent publicized incidents of what happened above, owners of certain breeds may have trouble finding home insurance companies that even offer coverage.
Some Homeowners Insurance companies are starting to
1. Deny coverage on certain types of dog breeds
2. Choose not to offer insurance coverage for dog related injuries/damage
3. Limit the number of people in the household covered (may not cover younger people)
4. Limit coverage extending to certain dog breeds with a reputation of aggression
5. Opt not renew the home insurance policies to homeowners who purchase certain types of dog breeds
Why are home insurance companies doing this? happening? The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and DogBiteLaw.com presented these facts:
- A third of all homeowners insurance claims involve dog attacks.
- Nearly five million Americans every year are bitten by dogs
- Most serious dog attack victims are children
- Off all dog bite incidents, one in five require medical attention. Sometimes these incidents requires reconstructive surgery
- Dog attacks cost approximately $1 billion in insurance and medical losses every year.
Given these statistics dog owners often run a much higher risk than non owners. Home insurance companies are becoming increasing selective about insuring household pets.
Whether you have a dog or not if you own a home, insurance is required. It only takes 30 seconds to find out if you qualify for a cheaper homeowners insurance quote.
# # #