Marketers now index as among the highest users of social media in business
Arlington, VA and Cambridge, MA (PRWEB) November 18, 2010
PJA Advertising Marketing, three-time BtoB Agency of the Year winner, and Corporate Executive Board's Marketing Leadership Council, today announced the results of their first joint research survey. The topic under consideration was social media use among marketing professionals.
This survey series is designed to provide insights from senior marketing executives and professionals on topical issues that affect decision-making. More than 350 marketers participated in the survey, which was conducted in July and August 2010. They shared insights on their personal and professional use of social media, their attitudes about social media as a marketing and business development tool, and how useful they find social media communities for professional knowledge sharing.
"Marketers now index as among the highest users of social media in business," commented Patrick Spenner, managing director of the Marketing Leadership Council. "They are not only using it to build buzz for their companies and get prospects to their websites, they are using it as a research tool to listen to customers and to explore job opportunities themselves."
The survey shows that 55% read and share content through social media channels daily, with more than a third participating in conversations and rating others' contributions. Fully 20% choose a smartphone when participating in these channels
"Because the idea of personal identity blurs in social media channels, it's not surprising to see marketing leaders still indexing higher in their personal use," said Mike O'Toole, President at PJA Advertising Marketing. "Although social media has become mainstream, marketers still aren't very confident about using it to drive business results or marketing leads."
The survey revealed the following about social media usage:
- Nearly 90% of marketers use professional and social networking tools: LinkedIn, blogs and wikis for professional purposes and Facebook and location-based networks for personal use
- Marketers report that they spend an average of 19 hours a week on social media sites.
- Marketers consume 35% more social media content than editorial content.
- One-third of marketers uncovered new job opportunities through social media, while 75% have increased their marketing expertise.
- The most important features of social media for marketers are: Understanding customers better, building word of mouth for their brands, and communicating more effectively with customers to boost awareness and consideration.
- Marketers are more confident about what social media can do and less confident about doing it themselves. The greatest confidence gaps are in using social media to understand customers and measurably boost word of mouth.
- Marketers are lukewarm about the link between social media and business results/competitive differentiation/sales leads.
To view the complete survey results or to take the survey yourself and see your results benchmarked against others, click here.
PJA is a $75 million advertising and marketing agency with offices in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and San Francisco, California. PJA serves a global roster of technology, life science and healthcare clients that includes: Novell, GE Healthcare, Boston Scientific, Limelight Networks, Pegasystems, Trend Micro, Infor, and TriZetto. For more information, visit http://www.agencypja.com.
About Corporate Executive Board
The Corporate Executive Board Company drives faster, more effective decision-making among the world's leading executives and business professionals. As the premier, network-based knowledge resource, it provides them with the authoritative and timely guidance needed to excel in their roles, take decisive action and improve company performance. Powered by a member network that spans over 50 countries and represents more than 80% of the world's Fortune 500 companies, The Corporate Executive Board offers the unique research insights along with an integrated suite of members-only tools and resources that enable the world's most successful organizations to deliver superior business outcomes. Based in Arlington, Virginia, the Company employs more than 2,000 professionals in eight offices around the world. For more information, visit http://www.exbd.com