Tanners Well Aware of Eye Protection Requirement

Share Article

Despite media and anti tanning groups claims, indoor tanners are well aware of the need for proper eye protection when using sunbeds.

News Image
"We’ve trained our staff to make sure that there are risks for long term eye damage if customers don’t wear proper eyewear"

TWI Franchising, Inc. dba: tanworld franchises, one of the leading USA professional indoor tanning franchises, has released the results from the fifth in a series of surveys that polls their customers. “The Food and Drug Administration has regulated the indoor tanning industry since 1979. The need for eye protection when using sunbeds was one of the first mandates”, stated Cheri Cosgrove, President and CEO of TWI Franchising, Inc.
It is clearly stated under the FDA’s 21CFR1040.20 (c) (4) “Protective eyewear: (i) Each sunlamp product shall be accompanied by the number of sets of protective eyewear that is equal to the maximum number of persons that the instructions provided under paragraph (e)(1)(ii) of this section recommend to be exposed simultaneously to radiation from such product”. In addition, the warning …”WEAR PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR; FAILURE TO MAY RESULT IN SEVERE BURNS OR LONG-TERM INJURY TO THE EYES”…is on a label that is required on all sunbeds in commercial use in the US.

“The media and many anti-tanning factions suggest that most tanners are not using eyewear and they are promoting the need for more aggressive labeling to make indoor tanners more aware of eye protection when exposed to UV”. We felt that this was inaccurate and wanted to survey our customers to find the truth...” stated Cosgrove.
The survey’s confirmed her beliefs. A strong majority of respondents (72%) answered that they always use eye protection when exposed to natural sunlight. Even more (96%) knew that unprotected UV exposure to the eyes in natural sunlight OR a sunbed or booth is accumulative and may produce long term eye damage. 92% agreed that they always use proper eye protection that blocks UV rays when they tan indoors. Cosgrove indicated that this was the result of the intensive training of their employees. “We teach all employees the eye protection requirement and that all customers are aware of the long term opportunity for eye damage that could result from not using proper eyewear.”

In fact 85% have purchased their own personal FDA compliant eyewear from tanworld. “We’ve trained our staff to make sure that there are risks for long term eye damage if customers don’t wear proper eyewear. The remaining 15% have the opportunity to use FDA compliant disposable eyewear,” said Kendra Ely, tanworld corporate trainer. “We hold corporate trainings throughout the year to make sure that our employees are well aware of federal, state and local regulations regarding proper eye protection and that also includes factual information on sunbeds and UV exposure to disseminate to the public,” said Ely.

For more information on tanworld franchising contact Cheri Cosgrove at (402) 932-4857.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Cheri Cosgrove