Rockville, MD (Vocus) April 22, 2010
FileTek, Inc., a pioneer developer of large-scale data management and information governance solutions, today announced StorHouse® for Life Sciences, a large-scale, storage virtualization and data management platform specifically engineered to administer the terabytes to petabytes of structured and unstructured fixed content generated by highly scalable and dynamic life sciences applications. StorHouse combines industry-leading traditional and alternative storage devices and open system processors with storage management, relational database management, and file system interface software components. Organizations can deploy FileTek solutions without modifying existing applications, which facilitates a faster time to production. As such, StorHouse for Life Sciences is a major enabling technology component in the race to collect, study, link, and analyze critical biomedical research data.
One of the biggest challenges facing private, public, and university research institutes and laboratories is finding a comprehensive storage and data management infrastructure to archive, backup, access, and protect the growing volume of biomedical data, including next generation genomic sequencing, drug discovery, drug therapy, neurobiology, and clinical trial information. Within these unique environments, it is common to encounter data types and individual files that range from hundreds of gigabytes to terabytes in size. Most commodity storage management infrastructures simply cannot support the scalability, sustained performance, automated system management, advanced storage virtualization, and long-term survivability that challenging biomedical applications demand. The lack of these capabilities could jeopardize data access, delay critical research, and even yield incomplete or faulty results.
In contrast, StorHouse for Life Sciences provides these features and more, including:
- All-in-one platform functionality that provides both archive and backup capabilities in a single system
- An industry-standard relational file system layer that archives, retrieves, and/or backs up any format of unstructured data in native file format with no need for application modifications
- Scalability to trillions of files and multiple petabytes of managed data with no performance degradation
- A native file format backup approach that provides researchers with self-service access to information and eliminates the need for legacy data re-staging and restoration
- Virtualized storage that concurrently uses multiple media types such as disk and tape to lower the total cost of data ownership and allows research organizations to control data storage by creating rules about how information is stored based on frequency of access and retrieval time requirements
- Automated system, storage, and data management, including storage allocation and control as well as data migration, replication, backup, recovery, and retention
- Active content validation and repair processes to ensure data integrity and archive reliability for key research data
- Easy incorporation and addition of higher-capacity and more advanced technologies as they become available with no performance degradation or system downtime to ensure future accessibility of current data
- User-friendly, browser-based management tools that automate many routine system administration tasks
Mark Seamans, CTO of FileTek, commented, “StorHouse for Life Sciences is the most exciting product on the market today for storing, protecting, and managing the massive volumes of life sciences data generated by today’s sophisticated biomedical technologies. And, because StorHouse is a flexible and dynamic storage virtualization platform, it can easily support and efficiently manage the projected petabytes of data that future, even more advanced biomedical technologies will generate and collect. Safeguarding such high volumes of critical data requires the scalability, sustained performance, process automation, data assurance, and hardware independence that only StorHouse can provide. As a result, we’ve successfully deployed StorHouse for Life Sciences at many prestigious public and private research institutes in North America, and we look forward to fulfilling the requirements of the broader research and scientific community.”
FileTek, Inc. is a premier provider of large-scale data management and information governance solutions, enabling organizations, worldwide and across multiple industry segments, to efficiently manage, rapidly access, and effectively govern their ever-growing volume of enterprise data. Since 1984, FileTek has provided comprehensive, award-winning solutions to Global 2000 companies, prestigious educational institutions, and government agencies worldwide. From our patented and innovative StorHouse® high-volume data management solutions to our Trusted Edge® information classification and asset management software, FileTek maintains the same steady focus: enhancing and automating information lifecycle management processes for all categories and volumes of data.
FileTek is headquartered at 9400 Key West Avenue, Rockville, MD 20850. Telephone: 301-251-0600. Fax: 301-251-1990. The FileTek international headquarters, FileTek Ltd, is located at One Northumberland Ave., London WC2N 5BW. Telephone: +44 (0) 207 872 5583. Fax: +44 (0) 207 753 2829. The company also has offices across North America. To learn more about FileTek and Trusted Edge, visit: http://www.filetek.com and http://www.trustededge.com.
©2010 FileTek. All rights reserved. FileTek, Trusted Edge, and StorHouse are U.S. registered trademarks of FileTek, Inc. Other trademarks included herein are the property of their respective owners. The following U.S. patents protect StorHouse: 4,864,572; 5,247,660; 5,727,197; 6,049,804.