Santa Monica, CA (Vocus) November 30, 2010
Orion Health today announces that its Health Information Exchange (HIE) solution has been enhanced to include a modular suite of components that allows Healthcare organizations to more easily tailor a solution to meet their unique HIE needs. Through their experience with 22 diverse health exchange models internationally, Orion Health recognizes that each HIE project is unique. The enhanced HIE solution, being based around a common core with optional components that can be added as required, makes it easier for HIEs to plan and evolve the scope of state, regional, or enterprise health information exchange projects over time.
Paul Viskovich, Orion Health President of North America says the company analyzed their diverse customer base and identified the common set of technical functionality that every project needs for effective, sustainable health data exchange. “We then reviewed the common clinical and administrative needs of healthcare workers and determined a core feature set that could be applied to any model of patient data exchange. The solution is further extended by adding on modules to match specific needs and present an easy way to build out capabilities and further scale out projects over time.”
The core Orion Health HIE includes features to integrate patient data into existing systems, analyze and report trends, and improve the efficiency of healthcare business through a completely web-based solution. It includes:
- Smart message exchange capability using healthcare standards as well as sophisticated handling of Continuity of Care Documents (CCDs).
- User subscribed notifications that define what information clinicians get and when and how they receive.
- Secure, online access to patient records via a clinical portal for all healthcare providers within the region including those that do not have an existing Electronic Medical Record (EMR) system.
- Meeting public health reporting requirements by automating the process of alerting public health authorities of specific health conditions and cases via Public Health Information Network (PHIN), standard messaging, HL7, email or fax.
Orion Health recognizes HIE administrators face complex decisions when making investments in technology to improve healthcare. The Orion Health HIE is aligned to the needs of growing HIEs, equipped with core functionality compatible with the initial investments HIEs need to make, and that qualify for available grant funding. The solution also includes patient-centered solutions that help improve outcomes and physician-patient engagement as HIEs become more self-sustaining:
- Patient portal that allows a patient to access their medical record, request appointments, view educational materials and communicate with their care team.
- PHR integration to 3rd party Personal Health Record products. Using the CCD standard, patients can download information from the Orion Health HIE to their personal health record, allowing patients more control over their health data and the sharing of this information with clinical staff, family and other care givers.
- EMR “lite” for Providers without an EMR that includes an easy to use ordering form that allows users to create ordering forms for Diagnostic services, referrals that permits healthcare providers the ability to process electronic referrals, which reduces processing time and errors,
- ePrescribing that allows physicians the ability to write e-prescriptions and allows patients to fill prescriptions at any e-interface Pharmacy.
- Case Management for managing patients with long-term conditions, keeping them stable and working with remote monitoring where appropriate.
- Analytics and reporting that provides standard or additional reports to trend population growth, condition growth or health care consumption growth over time.
Federal, state and enterprise HIEs require a core set of health data exchange and access features, but also have a vast variety of functionality requirements. Mr. Viskovich points to privacy and consent policies as an example of the need for flexibility in HIE solutions. “Orion Health has worked with HIEs of all sizes including both some of the largest and smallest, in countries with widely varying politics, policies and requirements for privacy. Because our HIE solution is rules-based and built with flexibility in mind, our customers can define the solution that is right for them.”
With over 15 years of experience and more customers across the globe than any other vendor in this market, Orion Health is the leader in HIE solutions. For more information please see http://www.orionhealth.com/solutions/healthcare-organizations/health-information-exchange.
About Orion Health Inc.
Orion Health™ is a leading Health Information Exchange (HIE) solution provider with expertise in clinical workflow and integration technology for the healthcare sector. Orion Health’s easy-to-use solutions and applications improve patient care and clinical decision making by enabling the exchange of healthcare information among disparate systems and providing integrated health data in a single, unified view. By extending existing healthcare information systems, the Orion Health™ Rhapsody Integration Engine and workflow solutions provide healthcare workers with easy access to patient data and trends, and reduce errors and omissions by streamlining information transfer.
Worldwide, Orion Health has deployed health information communities involving over 35 million patients with hundreds of thousands of active clinical users including Maine’s HealthInfoNet, Alberta Health Services and Spain’s IB Salut. Orion Health’s partners include leading health system integrators and IT vendors such as Accenture, Allscripts, IBM, Oracle, Philips and others. Orion Health has more than 1,000 clients around the world, including Lahey Clinic, UCLA Medical Center, US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Spain's IB Salut, South Eastern Norwegian Regional Health Authority, New Zealand Ministry of Health. Orion Health is a preferred Canada Health Infoway Solution. More information can be found at http://www.orionhealth.com.
Orion Health and Rhapsody are registered trademarks of Orion Health Inc, its parent/or its affiliates. Other names used may be trademarks of their respective owners.