Grantmaker Due Diligence in the Pension Protection Act Era: How to identify supporting organizations and align your grants administration process with the 21st-century tax code.
Washington, DC (Vocus) September 23, 2010
What: Please join us for the free webinar, “Grantmaker Due Diligence in the Pension Protection Act Era: How to identify supporting organizations and align your grants administration process with the 21st-century tax code.”
- Suzanne Ross McDowell, Partner, Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Pamela Jowdy, Senior Product Manager, GuideStar USA, Inc.
Attendees: Private foundations, sponsoring organizations of donor-advised funds
Host: GuideStar USA, Inc. – the leading source of nonprofit information
Live Tweeting Encouraged: @GuideStarUSA encourages you to connect with other webinar participants, submit your questions to the host and speaker, and follow the online conversation by live tweeting using the identifier #grantmakerdd.
When: Tuesday, September 28, 2010
1:00-2:15 pm ET
Why: The Pension Protection Act of 2006 imposes new excise taxes on private foundations and sponsors of donor-advised funds for making grants to certain types of supporting organizations. This GuideStar-hosted webinar features expert Suzanne Ross McDowell, a national legal expert on nonprofit governance and tax issues, and Pamela Jowdy, a product management vigilante, who will address grantmaker concerns, including:
- How can I verify that a potential grantee is tax exempt?
- How can I determine if a potential grantee is a supporting organization?
- What about 509(a)(3) organizations that are Types I, II, or III?
- Are there best practices concerning determination of functional integration for Type III supporting organizations?
- What are the practical implications of Revenue Procedure 2009-32, and how might they affect my grantmaking operations and compliance practices?
The webinar will review the IRS tax code, IRS Revenue Procedure 2009-32, and corresponding pre-grant due-diligence best practices. It will also cover different online and manual options for charity verification, including GuideStar Charity Check. There will be a brief question and answer session at the end of the webinar.
GuideStar, http://www.guidestar.org the premier source of nonprofit data?connects people and organizations with information on the programs and finances of more than 1.8 million IRS-recognized nonprofits. GuideStar serves a wide audience inside and outside the nonprofit sector, including individual donors, nonprofit leaders, grantmakers, government officials, academic researchers, and the media.