Alpharetta, GA (PRWEB) January 14, 2011
Hire Heroes USA is committed to serving our Nation’s veterans through job search training and assistance. Essential to our mission – and to keep our services free for veterans - is the generosity and support of private individuals and corporate partners, such as Waste Management.
“Waste Management, through its donation of employee time, corporate funds, and its emphasis on hiring veterans, continues to demonstrate a strong commitment to the men and women that have served. We are honored to be a recipient of this donation, and look forward to an even closer partnership with Waste Management in 2011”, says Nathan Smith, Deputy Director of Hire Heroes USA.
Waste Management has been impressed and deeply touched by the significance of the outreach provided to service members by HHUSA, and will be supporting this cause by donating $2,500. In addition to financial support, Waste Management works on a daily basis to help transitioning veterans find new careers by partnering with HHUSA on a number of projects. These projects include:
1. The direct placement of HHUSA veterans into Waste Management positions.
2. Waste Management recruiters conduct informational employment transition webinars with HHUSA Veterans.
3. Wes Reel, the Military Recruiting and Outreach Director for Waste Management, has personally participated as a hands-on veteran mentor during two Wounded Warrior Transition Assistance Workshops held in 2010 at Twenty Nine Palms, California (Wounded Warriors Regiment) and Fort Gordon, Georgia (Army Wounded Warrior Battalion).
“Making our environment safe and the waste process more efficient are things we think about every day at Waste Management. To stay number one in our industry, we need people who are bright, have a sense of urgency and a natural drive to tackle the complexities that come with making the world a better place. At WM one in 12 of our employees is a military veteran and/or active guard/reserve member. We appreciate all veterans’ contributions to their country and are particularly proud of the 3,600 veterans who help make Waste Management not only an industry leader, but also a top military friendly employer.”- David Steiner-CEO, Waste Management, Inc.
About Hire Heroes USA:
Hire Heroes USA’s (HHUSA) mission is to offer transition assistance, job search assistance, and job placement services to those who have honorably served in the US military – and to their spouses – in order to reduce veteran unemployment. HHUSA prioritizes veterans statistically most likely to be unemployed: veterans of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM, and veterans that are wounded or disabled.
As a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, HHUSA’s services are provided at no cost to the veteran.
About Waste Management:
Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of waste-to-energy and landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America.
One population that is important to WM is the military. Our commitment is through action, not words. We offer pay differential to reserve and guard employees activated to duty and student veterans can work for us as interns while attending college. You will recognize us at military job fairs, in the military media, and in our outreach efforts to military support organizations, active duty, disabled and demobilizing or transitioning guard/reserve service members. WM hires a veteran every day of the year and our employees who are veterans make tremendous contributions at every level in our company. WM is proud to be recognized as a Military Times “Best For Vets” Employer and G.I. Jobs “Top Military Friendly” Employer.
1. 3,600 military veterans employed at WM representing one in twelve employees
2. A veteran is hired at WM every day of the year (33 per month)
3. A disabled veteran was hired every 16.5 days, representing 6% of all veteran hires
4. Still Serving-Eight employees per month took some form of military service related leave of absence
5. WM extends pay differential to reserve and guard employees activated to duty
6. We have over one thousand job openings and we want veterans to know that we want them to work for Waste Management.