Pfaeffikon, Switzerland (PRWEB) February 17, 2011
Power App today is pleased to introduce Speech2SMS 1.0 for iOS, their new app that allows users to create and send SMS messages by speaking into their iOS device. Following a brief period of calibration, during which it accounts for ambient noise levels, the app is ready to take dictation. It employs the OpenEars open-source iOS library for English language speech recognition, and the CMU Pocketsphinx and CMU Flite libraries from Carnegie Mellon University. Designed for no-hands text input when use of the virtual keyboard is inconvenient or impossible, users are advised to speak slowly and clearly for best results.
Currently, Short Message Service (SMS) is the most used data application in the world with over 2.4 billion users (74% of all mobile phone subscribers). As such, many are dependent on SMS throughout their day, even when driving or otherwise engaged. Speech2SMS provides an inexpensive, practical solution to creating and sending SMS text messages using voice input. Features include in-app SMS connectivity, speech-to-text display in SMS format, and optional virtual keyboard for message editing.
- Dictate and send SMS formatted messages using speech-to-text in Speech2SMS
- English language speech-to-text based on open-source Politepix OpenEars
- No training period required - app takes dictation from any English speaker
- App calibrates by sampling ambient noise prior to recording
- Send messages via SMS from within the app
- Optional virtual keyboard for message editing
"Speech2SMS incorporates the latest open-source speech-to-text software to send SMS text messages without typing," stated Power App's Christian Schaffner. "Now users can message anytime, anywhere."
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- iOS 3.2 or later (iOS 4 tested)
- 8.9 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Speech2SMS 1.0 is $1.99 (USD) and available worldwide through the App Store in the Utilities category. Review copies are available upon request.
EXTRA LINKS (please, no duplicates or redirects):
Purchase and Download