Analysis and Measurement Services Corp. Recognized for Exceptional Innovation

Share Article

Tibbetts Awards honor projects that bring federal R&D from the lab to the marketplace

Analysis and Measurement Services Corp. (AMS) announced on February 15, 2011, that is has received a Tibbetts Award from the Small Business Administration (SBA) for its on-line monitoring work. SBA presents the awards to companies and individuals that have advanced technological innovation and economic growth.

“This award represents the culmination of an effort we began in 2006 when we were originally awarded a Phase I effort from the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR),” said AMS President, Dr. H.M. Hashemian. “Since that original award, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), Office of Nuclear Energy has awarded AMS with a Phase II, a Phase II extension, and in August 2010, the Phase III XLerator commercialization funding to further the implementation of this technology.”

This Tibbetts Award recognizes the work AMS has done to provide a unique set of equipment, services and training to the worldwide nuclear industry. These products help nuclear power plants verify that the sensors used to control plant operation and safety functions are working properly. AMS products are unique in that they allow nuclear plants to perform their tests remotely, while the plant is operating. Otherwise, plants would need to conduct these tests at the locations in the plant where the sensors are installed and while the plant is shut down, which can be time consuming and expensive and involves potential radiation exposure to the plant maintenance personnel who must perform the test. Such testing during plant shutdowns extends the length of plant maintenance outages at a cost of up to $1 million per day.

“After participating in the SBIR Program, we employed an additional dozen people to assist in our efforts,” continued Hashemian. “Today, thanks to our SBIR success, we’ve expanded our staff to over 60, and doubled our revenue.”

Hashemian and Dan Beverly, AMS’ Chief Engineer, accepted the award at a ceremony Tuesday morning in Washington, DC. Afterward, they met with SBA Administrator, Karen Mills, and attended a reception at the White House.

“This is a proud day not only for AMS but also for the city of Knoxville,” said Sean Greene, SBA’s Associate Administrator for Investment and Senior Adviser for Innovation. “Companies like AMS represent the best in American ingenuity.”

The Tibbetts Award is the latest in a long series of awards received by AMS. In 1989 Inc. magazine recognized AMS as one of the 500 fastest growing private companies in the United States. In 2001 AMS was a recipient of a Manufacturing Excellence Award by the Governor of the State of Tennessee, and in 2006 it received and IEC Award from the International Electrotechnical Commission for writing standards on safety of nuclear power plants. In 2009 it earned a "Business TN Hot 100" awarded for being one of the 100 fastest-growing companies in East Tennessee, and in 2010 AMS received a Pinnacle Award from the Knoxville Chamber Partnership in recognition of outstanding business practices and community support.

Founded in 1976, Knoxville-based AMS is an international leader that specializes in testing of process instrumentation and development of specialized test equipment and software products for the power and process industries. Since 1977, AMS has been the leading supplier of equipment, training and services for response time testing and on-line calibration of temperature and pressure instrumentation in nuclear power plants. In addition, AMS provides automated equipment for predictive maintenance and performance testing of a variety of components and systems in operating processes. Today, about 60% of AMS tests are driven by national and international regulations and standards. The other 40% are for improved maintenance of the plant, automated testing, and to take advantage of new technologies for enhanced operation.

In addition to its Knoxville headquarters, AMS has offices in Annville, Pennsylvania; Madrid, Spain; Vienna, Austria; Seoul, South Korea; and Zurich, Switzerland. AMS has a worldwide list of clientele and has worked closely with a number of international organizations such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). AMS has also performed high technology research and development projects for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), U.S. Department of Defense (DOD), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), utilities, manufacturers, and a variety of vendors.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Kristin Overly
Visit website