Accidentally kicking your TV or lounge room ornament could be quite costly
(PRWEB) March 12, 2011
Over one in three West Australians have accidentally kicked, punched or hit something while working out or dancing to a computer game in their lounge room.
The SGIO Home Insurance survey* reveals how gaming accidents are becoming an emerging insurance issue. SGIO spokesperson Rob Cory said West Australians should play it safe and be aware of what was around them when gaming or working out in their lounge room.
‘We understand the convenience of keeping fit in the comfort of your own home but it appears people may be losing control and accidentally bumping their TV or losing grip of their controller,’ he said.
‘We’ve seen a number of claims in WA over the last twelve months so with the influx of new games and home fitness products into homes at Christmas, we want to remind everyone to be aware.
‘Accidentally kicking your TV or lounge room ornament could be quite costly and if we walked around our home and tallied up our valuable items, we would probably be surprised at the total cost of replacing them.
‘We recommend people take up the option of accidental damage on their policy so their contents are covered if this happens.
‘By all means grab those Zumba toning sticks and gaming remotes and controllers and get playing but try and remember that safety should come first,’ said Mr Cory.
SGIO Home Insurance recommends the following tips:
- Clear the space of any valuable items that may become collateral damage;
- Keep well back from your TV to avoid an accidental collision with the screen;
- Consider turning a spare room into your gaming / home fitness room to avoid working out amongst your more expensive items;
- Ensure all electrical cords are secured to the wall or swept well away from the area in front of the TV, to prevent anyone from tripping over them;
- Make sure your insurance is up-to-date.
*Based on a survey by Pure Profile Research in December 2010
SGIO is a leading insurance provider, offering Car Insurance, Home Insurance, Motorcycle Insurance, Travel Insurance, Business Insurance, Boat Insurance, Health Insurance and Caravan Insurance in Western Australia.
# # #