Myrtle Beach, SC (PRWEB) March 16, 2011 —
With the official start of spring just around the corner, it's time to do some spring cleaning and spruce up the home. Kimberly Grigg, the Grand Strand-based designer and owner of Knotting Hill Interiors (http://www.knottinghillinteriors.com)—a retail gift and home furnishings store—has compiled a list of 10 fun and proven ways to maximize the beauty and function of home interiors.
1. To make your space feel larger and your walls appear taller, paint the walls and the trim the same color.
2. Start your design process with a “magic fabric”! Working with textiles is a great way to find inspiration for a room or for an entire home. Usually a “magic fabric” will contain several colors and a design pattern. These colors and patterns can inspire both the mood and the color scheme.
3. Carefully consider how each room flows with the next. Incorporate artwork, pillows, throws and accessories to connect the spaces.
4. Decorate ceilings. Ceilings comprise at least one-third of a room, so don’t ignore them. Consider wallpaper, paint or even fabric to treat the space.
5. Using paint, stripe a room to add texture, interest and height.
6. Nothing completes a room like window treatments. Invest in good quality treatments to add a finishing touch. Create a semi-custom look by utilizing ready-made panels and adding trim or braid.
7. Use bold colors and patterns in small spaces. Break the rule about not using dark or vibrant colors in small spaces. Powder rooms are the perfect locations to showcase over-the-top wallpapers. In addition, powder rooms are a fabulous spot to splurge on a small amount of a costly wallpaper that would break the bank in a larger space.
8. Mix up colors and finishes of wood furniture pieces throughout your home. It provides a more custom appeal where sets of furniture end up looking more like the showroom that you purchased them in.
9. Every large space can benefit from a wonderful antique piece. An antique has a way of grounding a room and it incorporates an sense of history right away.
10. Every room needs accessories. These pieces are the life of the party, or in this case, the life of the home. They should reflect your personality and it is helpful if they serve a purpose.
Grigg, who has been featured on HGTV.com, is known for her innovative approach to design. Her “green house” decorating ideas have garnered national attention. She also specializes in unique children's rooms.
For more information about Kimberly Grigg and to read her “It's So Fabulous Blog,” visit http://www.knottinghillinteriors.com.
Also, check out Knotting Hill Interiors on Facebook.