Tungsten Enterprise enables us to protect our MySQL application development investment, ensure data integrity and availability for our customers, and reduce our overall MySQL operating costs, said Nick Bonfiglio, VP Operations at Marketo
San Jose, CA (PRWEB) March 22, 2011
Continuent, Inc., a leading provider of replication and clustering solutions for open source databases, today announced the availability of the next version of Tungsten Enterprise. Tungsten Enterprise is a complete replication and data management solution for MySQL™ and PostgreSQL. Tungsten Enterprise uses replication and distributed management to create virtualized databases using redundant data copies.
This latest version of Tungsten Enterprise includes a number of features to improve the management, performance, flexibility and reliability of Tungsten clusters.
Furthermore, it includes architectural changes to the Tungsten Replicator, connectivity improvements, upgrades to MySQL binlog parsing and PostgreSQL replication, including:
- 5x boost in replication throughput.
- New disk-based logging improves performance and simplifies log management.
Improved Management And Monitoring
- Enhanced failure detection logic allows for configurable confirmation. You can now configure more than a single check for aliveness and increase our ability to avoid false triggering.
- Redundant confirmation of database server failures. Failures will be confirmed once they are detected the first time to further ensure right automatic response upon failure.
- New ‘monitoring by proxy’. In the case where a manager fails on a database host, you can still monitor and detect failures on a given host as long as there is at least one manager remaining.
- Support of virtual IP addresses makes them easier to set up and manage. You now can configure the VIP address and Ethernet interface at installation time.
- New Tungsten SQL Router and Connector management protocols allow processes to run without a Tungsten Manager process on the same host. This greatly simplifies management for clusters with large numbers of application servers.
- You can now specify URL options for all connections that go through the connector to a given IP address. This functionality allows you to configure the connector to always connect to an available slave.
- Significant architectural improvements allow Tungsten Replicator to define custom replication flows (pipelines) for native Tungsten Replication as well as to manage non-Tungsten mechanisms such as PostgreSQL warm standby replication.
- New features facilitate online upgrade of MySQL databases, including commands to stop replication for multiple slaves at the same transaction in the log and to restart replication from arbitrary transactions. Tungsten also certifies specialized replication pipelines that offer high-speed, restartable schema upgrade.
- Extensions to MySQL support including handling of international character sets and binary data in MySQL, as well as handling of non-English locales for PostgreSQL servers. These improvements allow Tungsten to function more effectively in internationalized environments.
- Complete replication of all items from MySQL 5.0 and 5.1 binlogs directly from a disk or using relay logs.
- MySQL to Oracle replication for real-time integration of applications running on Oracle but needing MySQL data, and data warehousing from MySQL into Oracle.
- MySQL to PostgreSQL replication for real-time integration of applications running on PostgreSQL and needing MySQL data.
- MySQL to Greenplum replication for real-time data warehousing from MySQL into PostgreSQL-based Greenplum.
Marketo Chooses Tungsten Enterprise To Manage Business Critical Databases Servicing Their SaaS Customers.
“We have been using Tungsten Enterprise since 2010 to power our Revenue Performance Management platform. Tungsten replication and data management are key components of our scalability and high-availability framework. Tungsten Enterprise enables us to protect our MySQL application development investment, ensure data integrity and availability for our customers, and reduce our overall MySQL operating costs,” said Nick Bonfiglio, VP Operations at Marketo.
“This release benefited from substantial customer participation and feedback, helping to provide a more broadly tested product. With Tungsten Enterprise 1.3.1, our customers have a high performance, reliable, scalable and cost-effective solution for building and deploying their business critical web applications,” said Robert Hodges, CEO of Continuent. “Our consulting experts can assist with the upgrade, as well as solve other problems in replication and data management.”
Tungsten Enterprise builds on Tungsten Replicator capabilities. Tungsten Replicator, a high performance, open source data replication engine, is available for a free download at http://www.continuent.com.
Continuent offers industry-leading replication and clustering solutions for open source databases. Continuent's expert consulting helps users quickly solve difficult problems in replication and data management. Continuent's Tungsten software enables 24x7 data availability and increased database performance for data-driven applications while retaining the cost advantages of open source software. For more information about Continuent and our products, visit http://www.continuent.com.
MySQL is a trademark of Oracle and/or its affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners
# # #