It comes in a kit with all necessary fittings and takes 45-minutes to assemble.
New York, NY (PRWEB) March 27, 2011
EKO-SEP is an ecologically sensible (biodegradable) septic tank designed for use by internally and temporarily displaced people in emergency situations as a result of natural disasters, such as earth quakes, floods, typhoons, hurricanes etc.
This unique item was designed in 1992 by Derrick “John” Jeffrey while on a UN Peacekeeping mission in Cambodia. Based on an impact study at the time, it was discovered that with the influx of 20,000 Peacekeepers that were dispersed throughout Cambodia there was a need for a temporary but functional human waste management system.
Derrick “John” Jeffrey came up with several designs but eventually decided on one which would require bamboo piping and constructed of special tropical wood that is designed to biodegrade within an acceptable period after abandonment together with a 98% minimum retention rate within its walls. This required incorporating close tolerance joints along the running edge of the boards.
According to the general manager of CCE, the consulting engineers for the UN Peacekeeping operations in Cambodia, 1992/94 in written reference to this item:
“A solution to waste water disposal problems at remote location camps a septic tank system, according to Mr. Jeffrey’s design has been implemented and is being totally fabricated and installed. This system is simple to install and maintain and is cost-effective.”
As a result of the earthquake in Haiti, EKO-SEP was modified, Patented and has now been placed on the open market.
EKO-SEP weighs approximately 250kg, in its kit form, is 2.1m long, 1.5m high/deep and 1.1m wide, with a maximum liquid capacity of 2,000 lt. or about 500 gallons. It takes three laborers 45-minutes to assemble the unit. Each unit has been demonstrated to accommodate 10 commodes while being used for more than two years.
Some of the key design accomplishments/strong points of EKO-SEP, in addition to its biodegradability, are:
- It can be used without the necessity for pumping (The secret is to keep the gray water—(sink and shower) out of the septic tank)
- It is made of a special specie of tropical wood comprising of medium density. (Medium density is desirable for biodegrading after non-use).
- With dual air-vent pipes, it facilitates aeration at a faster rate, which is critical to the anaerobic digestion of the waste.
- Access to the inspecting holes on top and connecting waste in-flow and air-vent PVC pipes (The PVC pipes would be visible and easy to remove after situation is normalized).
- To facilitate portability, each unit is broken down into six manageable parts for easy transportation and installation.
Why are we confident about EKO-SEP and its use in the conditions enumerated above?
- We know what we are talking about, as we have built and install this item in the past, (17-years-ago);
- It was approved and used successfully in the field to solving a waste management problem.
- It is cost effective each unit, complete with accessories cost lest than one thousand US dollars.
- It is 100% biodegradable.
- It is in kit-form, easy to assemble (idiot proof) and comes with instructions in hard and soft copies, including fasteners and hand tools.
- It will solve the problem pertaining to human waste management in certain emergencies.
Given the current, growing and increasingly urgent situation of populations in constant movement around the world, in search of refuge due to natural and environmental disasters, as well as conflicts, in this press release we are informing of the recently constructed a working prototype (minus the human waste).
More information can be had on the website where you can also see the presentation video by logging on to: http://www.eko-sep.com.
You can also ask questions or make suggestions by clicking on the radio button,
Any questions? at the bottom of the Homepage or send an e-mail to: admin(at)eko-sep(dot)com
For direct contact with EKO-SEP’s support team, use e-mail address below.
# # #