"If elder abuse happened to me, Mickey Rooney, it can happen to anyone."
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) March 30, 2011
Elder Financial Protection Network (EFPN) will host its 8th Annual Call to Action event featuring Keynote Speaker California State Insurance Commissioner, Dave Jones. The Welcome Address will be delivered by San Francisco District Attorney, George Gascón. Joining these and other professional experts will be two people who have had personal experience with financial elder abuse: Philip Marshall, elder justice advocate and grandson of legendary New York philanthropist and financial abuse victim Brooke Astor. Veteran film star Mickey Rooney, who recently testified before Congress about being a victim of elder financial abuse will be a special guest speaker.
WHEN: Thursday, March 31, 2010, 7:30AM – 5:00 PM
[Interview/photo opportunities: 11:00 – 3:00 PM or by appointment]
WHERE: Mission Bay Conference Center, UCSF—1675 Owens Street, San Francisco, CA
In addition, Elizabeth Loewy, assistant district attorney, New York County, NY, who led the high-profile prosecution of Marshall’s father and Astor’s only son, Anthony Marshall, will participate, and Robert Blancato, national coordinator of Elder Justice Coalition, Washington, D.C. will offer an update on the Elder Justice Act.
Recognized speakers from across the country will discuss the following topics:
- What We Know About Undue Influence - Lisa Nerenberg, MSW, California Elder Justice Worksgoup, and Mary Joy Quinn, Director, Probate Court, San Francisco.
- Slam Scammers- Prescott Cole, Esq., Staff Attorney, California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform, Neil Granger, Esq., Insurance and Annuity Litigation Consultant, and Shawna Reeves, MSW, Silicon Valley Council on Aging.
- Fostering Partnerships with Financial Institutions to Investigate and Prosecute Elder Financial Abuse - Elizabeth Loewy, Esq., Deputy District Attorney, New York County, NY, Steve Vallejo, Bank of the West, Robert Steger, Investigator, San Francisco Police Dept., and Duane Vickery, ACSW, San Francisco Adult Protective Services.
- From Baby Boomer to Senior-Protecting Lifetime Savings - Pat Huddleston, Esq., InvestorsWatchDog LLP.
- Legislative Update: Insurance Fraud and Mandatory Reporting - Steven Reiss, Esq. Reiss Law Firm, Shirley Krohn, California Senior Legislature and Susan Montoya, Vice President CRA, First Bank, and Elizabeth de Vries Esq., Scott Law Firm.
- Predatory and Deceptive Financial Abuse Scams - Nancy Barron, Esq., Kemnitzer, Barron & Krieg, and Ingrid Evans, Esq., Evans Law Firm.
- Undue Influence and Incapacity: Ethical Dilemmas and Issues in Representing the Elderly - jurist Virginia Palmer, Esq. Partner, Fitzgerald, Abbott & Beardsley, LLP.
Founded in 2000, EFPN is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to fighting elder financial abuse through innovative partnerships that build public awareness, drive community outreach, and provide professional training.
For more information:415-956-5556 or visit http://www.bewiseonline.org - no charge for members of the media.