Q4 Mobile Base Station Contracts at 122 as India Continues to Rebound After Embargo

Share Article

4G Contracts at 10% of total while 3G is 56%

Alcatel-Lucent was awarded USD $6.9 billion in contracts from Verizon Wireless, China Mobile, China Telecom and China Unicom

Total contracts awarded within the wireless industry for Q4 was 122, down 9.6% from Q4 2009 levels and down 6.7% sequentially according to the latest report from EJL Wireless Research, titled “Global Base Station Contract Analysis, Fourth Quarter 2010.”

“ZTE secured 48% of total contract awards during the December 31, 2010 ended quarter, beating Huawei (25%). Chinese OEMs captured 73% of overall contracts in Q4 with continuing to be the most active region. Alcatel-Lucent was awarded USD$6.9 billion in contracts between Verizon Wireless and the Chinese Mobile Operators," says founder and President, Earl Lum.

“LTE technology was nearly 10% of total contracts during the quarter. Equipment swap outs are also driving demand in Western and Eastern Europe for GSM and W-CDMA/HSPA equipment. Chinese OEMs continue to dominate the CDMA2000 segment as they captured 92% of global contracts in Q4. Huawei Technologies led the way with 39% of total W-CDMA/HSPA/HSPA+/TD-SCDMA awards,” says Lum.

The base station contract analysis reports are issued on a quarterly and annual basis and provide a unique perspective on the global cellular/PCS base station contract awards and demand for mobile base station equipment covering all major OEMs including Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson, Huawei Technologies, Nokia Siemens Networks, and ZTE.

About EJL Wireless Research
EJL Wireless Research provides proprietary, accurate and cutting-edge market analysis and consulting services on the wireless technology ecosystem. The firm focuses its research on all vertical elements of the wireless ecosystem including mobile subscribers, mobile operators, mobile handsets, mobile infrastructure and mobile content. In addition, the firm provides analysis across horizontal technology suppliers including RF semiconductor materials, RF semiconductor/components, subsystems and OEMs. Our goal is to provide our clients with mission critical market analysis and information.

EJL Wireless Research believes it has a corporate responsibility, both local and international, in giving back to the community. Please visit our website for more information about the charitable organizations it supports at: http://www.ejlwireless.com/corporate_responsibility.html.

EJL Wireless Research is managed by Earl Lum. Mr. Lum has 18 years of experience within the wireless industry including 8 years as an Equity Research Analyst on Wall Street covering the global wireless industry. The company is headquartered in Salem, New Hampshire, USA. For more information about EJL Wireless Research, please visit the company’s website at http://www.ejlwireless.com.

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Earl Lum
Visit website