Bellevue, WA (PRWEB) April 29, 2011
PeopleFinder.com, a Digimedia property and a leading resource in public records and people search, suggests caution in the search for affordable health insurance. According to insurancefraud.org, discount health card scams are spreading rapidly. Some offer valuable benefits for people who don't have health insurance. Many are deceptive and fraudulent, taking advantage of older Americans.
Discount health cards claim to offer reduced fees for physician visits, hospital stays, prescriptions and other treatments. It is important to understand that these plans are not health insurance. Fraudulent discount plans fail to make good on these claims. Many states have found that while some plans provide some legitimate benefits, many offer very little in return for the money.
The FTC recommends investigation of medical discount plans before taking the plunge:
1. Ask for a list of providers. Get the list in writing. PeopleFinder.com offers address lookup services. Simply enter the address of the provider to be sure it is a legitimate location.
2. Ask for a website for more information. See doctors in the local area that accept the plan and call to see if they give the discount the plan provides. If no phone number is provided, look up the doctor's name on Peoplefinder.com to find the number.
3. Investigate details. Read the fine print; get references from others who are currently using the plan.
4. Report fraud to the local consumer protection office, and to the Better Business Bureau.
Ask the right questions of the Medical Discount Provider:
1. Is it insurance or a discount card? Know the difference. Insurance will often cover most of the treatment cost, while a discount card requires individuals to pay, but at a reduced fee.
2. Does the card offer discounts on the specific treatments needed? Find out exactly what medicine, treatments, and services are included.
3. Are the prices listed? Do they offer a clear discount?
4. Are there hidden fees? Are there administrative fees that will quickly eat up the discounts?
5. Are other people complaining? Research the company. Use PeopleFinder.com to uncover information on the company.
The price consumers pay for participating in a scam medical discount program can be high. Patrons may be saddled with large medical bills, health care can be compromised, and money and financial information can even be stolen. Discount cards should never be purchased over the phone, and any information on the company should be researched on PeopleFinder.com to ensure validity.
People Finder is a resource for people searching online. In addition to free people search, People Finder has search portals for public records services, such as background checks, cell phone directories, criminal records and more. People Finder provides yellow and white pages and gives instant access to billions of records.
Digimedia owns and maintains one of the highest-regarded generic domain portfolios in the world. Properties include PeopleFinder.com, Recipes.com, FantasyFootball.com, Charis.com, Dress.com, Trips.com, Clinic.com and many more. Digimedia’s core goal is to help people by using each domain as a foundation. Digimedia is passionate about investing, building and providing information.
# # #