“The meeting will offer networking opportunities and solutions to the increased regulatory scrutiny and challenges in-house counsel are addressing in an ever-fluctuating economic environment,” states ACC President & CEO Veta T. Richardson.
Washington, D.C./Denver, CO (PRWEB) October 03, 2011
On Sunday, October 23, 2011, the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) will welcome nearly 2,000 chief legal officers, general counsel and other top legal executives to its 2011 Annual Meeting in Denver. This year’s meeting, which will be held at the Colorado Convention Center (October 23-26), brings together legal industry professionals from 24 countries, including Argentina, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, Nigeria and the UK, to connect and collaborate on the most pressing issues facing the in-house counsel community.
“This year, we have a record number of attendees, and for good reason,” states ACC President & CEO Veta T. Richardson. “The meeting will offer networking opportunities and solutions to the increased regulatory scrutiny and challenges in-house counsel are addressing in an ever-fluctuating economic environment.”
Coinciding with this year’s theme, “Learn, Share, Grow: Where In-house Counsel Connect,” attendees will discuss the dual role and complex responsibilities of corporate counsel related to a myriad of topics, from ethics to international business, legal technology to intellectual property, executive compensation to law department management and outside counsel relationships. Event highlights include:
- Monday, October 24 (9:00 am MDT/11:00 am ET) - ACC Chair's Choice: “Corporate Counsel Under Scrutiny: Liability for Corporate Misconduct”: ACC Board Chair and former Executive Vice President & General Counsel of HCP, Inc., J. Alberto Gonzalez-Pita will moderate a forum on the targeting of in-house counsel by government regulators for the misconduct of their clients. Participants include: ACC’s Vice President and Chief Legal Strategist Amar D. Sarwal; KPMG LLP’s Vice Chair, Legal and Compliance Sven Erik Holmes; and other leaders in the legal profession.
GENERAL LUNCHEONS & LIVE WEBCASTS
- Monday, October 24 (12:45 pm MDT/2:45 pm ET) - “When Crisis Strikes: What Should the Chief Legal Officer Do?”: DLA Piper partner and former General Counsel at AIG, Inc. and MCI/WorldCom, Anastasia Kelly, will moderate a panel consisting of CLOs and GCs who have maneuvered through a chaotic environment where regulators and media analyze every move.
- Tuesday, October 25 (12:45 pm MDT/2:45 pm ET) - Luncheon General Session: “A Conversation with Michele Coleman Mayes, Co-author, ‘Courageous Counsel: Conversations with Women General Counsel in the Fortune 500’”: Michele Coleman Mayes, Executive Vice President and General Counsel for Allstate Insurance Company, SNR Denton partner Kara Baysinger, and other leading CLO and compliance officers will recount stories of 40 female general counsel as they rose to the top. Book signing to follow.
CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER BENCHMARKS
- Monday, October 24, 2011- Results from “ACC’s 2011 Chief Legal Officer Survey,” which captures current CLO thinking and examines changes over time for valuable law department benchmarks, will be released.
TOP HONORS FOR IN-HOUSE COUNSEL
Sunday, October 23 and Monday, October 24 - ACC will award leading volunteer members and companies that have had a positive impact on the in-house community. Richardson, along with ACC Board Chair J. Alberto Gonzalez-Pita and Incoming Board Chair Jon Oviatt, CLO and Secretary of Mayo Clinic, will present awards for commitment and outstanding work in the legal profession. Award recipients include:
- Robert I. Townsend, Jr. Member of the Year: Sanjeev Dhawan of Hydro One Inc.;
- Excellence in Corporate Practice: William Mordan of Reckitt Benckiser;
- Corporate Pro Bono: Randal S. Milch and the Verizon Communications Legal Department;
- Matthew J. Whitehead, II Diversity: Laurie N. Robinson of the CBS Corporation; and
- Notable awards recognizing service and dedication for ACC Chapters and Committees.
Members of the media are encouraged to register here. For additional information on ACC’s 2011 Annual Meeting, visit http://am.acc.com.
About ACC’s 2011 Annual Meeting: The Association of Corporate Counsel’s (ACC) Annual Meeting is the largest gathering of in-house counsel from around the world. The Annual Meeting serves as the premier professional event for corporate lawyers, where attendees are offered more than 100 courses to complete their continuing legal education, meet with legal service providers and network with their peers. Updates will be broadcast via Twitter (#ACCAM11) and on the ACC In-house ACCess blog. For more information, visit am.acc.com.
About ACC: The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is the world’s largest organization serving the professional and business interests of attorneys who practice in the legal departments of corporations, associations and other private-sector organizations around the globe. ACC promotes the common interests of its members, provides resources to help save time, money and effort, contributes to their continuing education and provides a voice on issues of global importance. With more than 28,000 members in more than 75 countries, employed by over 10,000 organizations, ACC connects its members to the people and resources necessary for both personal and professional growth. By in-house counsel, for in-house counsel.® For more information, visit http://www.acc.com.
# # #