Our annual meeting offers a great opportunity for members and others interested in weed science to stay abreast of the latest developments in the field, network with their peers and enjoy the fellowship of the Society.
Lawrence, Kansas (PRWEB) October 05, 2011
Early bird registration is now open for the 52nd annual meeting of the Weed Science Society of America (WSSA) – an event that will focus on the latest developments in weed science research and management practices.
Students, educators and professionals from around the world are expected to attend the event, which is scheduled for February 6-9, 2012, in Waikoloa, Hawaii.
“Our annual meeting offers a great opportunity for members and others interested in weed science to stay abreast of the latest developments in the field, network with their peers and enjoy the fellowship of the Society,” says Michael Barrett, WSSA president and a faculty member at the University of Kentucky.
An extensive scientific program is planned, including three special symposia:
- The Role of Herbicide-Resistant Crops in Sustainable Agriculture
- Stewarding Off-Target Movement of Pesticides
- Non-Chemical Weed Management in Reduced Tillage Systems
General session speakers include:
- Jim Kauahikaua, the scientist leading the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. The observatory will be celebrating its centennial anniversary in 2012.
- Phil Motooka, retired weed scientist, who will provide an historical perspective of the region.
In addition to presentations and symposia, the society will offer a variety of special tours of the Big Island of Hawaii – from visits to a coffee farm and natural energy lab to an up-close look at the island’s invasive species.
Early bird rates are available to those who register before December 5. In addition, discounted hotel rates at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Hotel are available through January 5, 2012. For more information or to register, visit the annual meeting section of the WSSA website: http://www.wssa.net/meetings/WSSAAnnual
Dates and locations for the annual meetings of the four regional weed science societies are:
- North Central Weed Science Society, December 12-15, 2011, Milwaukee, Wis. (http://www.ncwss.org)
- Northeastern Weed Science Society, January 3-6, 2012, Philadelphia, Pa. (http://www.newss.org)
- Southern Weed Science Society, January 23-25, 2012, Charleston, S.C. (http://www.swss.ws)
- Western Society of Weed Science, March 12-15, 2012, Reno, Nev. (http://www.wsweedscience.org)
About the Weed Science Society of America
The Weed Science Society of America, a nonprofit scientific society, was founded in 1956 to encourage and promote the development of knowledge concerning weeds and their impact on the environment. The Weed Science Society of America promotes research, education and extension outreach activities related to weeds, provides science-based information to the public and policy makers, fosters awareness of weeds and their impact on managed and natural ecosystems, and promotes cooperation among weed science organizations across the nation and around the world. For more information, visit http://www.wssa.net.
# # #