Individuals who have Florida home insurance should verify that their policy carries additional windstorm coverage...
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida (PRWEB) October 07, 2011
As Florida residents brace themselves for the peak of hurricane season, your agents at St Johns Insurance Agency are spreading the word about how homeowners can protect their homes and assets.
Individuals who have Florida home insurance should verify that their policy carries additional windstorm coverage. In some cases the windstorm coverage may have to be purchased as a separate policy. Many people also overlook the importance of Florida flood insurance. Here are several ways Florida residents can prepare for the annual storm season.
- Review all insurance coverage and be sure to have windstorm and flood coverage.
- Place all of important documents in a secure easy to find place. It is important to have the most up to date documentation in case you will have to reference them in a storm situation. Make sure to put all paperwork in a waterproof container that is easy to take with you in case of evacuation.
- Put together a hurricane supply kit. Food, water, blankets, first aid kits, batteries etc…are all important to have on hand. You can find a detailed list of items your kit should include here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/prepare/supply_kit.shtml
- Have a plan for your pets! Many shelters will not allow pets in case of evacuation. Make sure your pets are up to date on shots and have proper identification. Keep properly sized carriers on hand for ease of transport.
- During the off season it may be a good idea to consider retrofitting your home with wind mitigation devices which while offing additional protection can also save you money on your Florida homeowners insurance as most carriers give credits for having such devices. You can learn more about securing your home here: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/retrofit/secure_home.shtml
- If you have a boat or additional watercraft, be prepared to remove it from the water and have a safe and secure place to store it, possibly at your local Marina.
Of course being fully insured does not mean that you should risk incurring damage. Being informed and prepared is the best way to protect one’s home and assets from hurricane related damage for years to come. St. Johns Insurance Agency is committed to keeping FL residents up to date with all of the changes in the insurance industry. With combined experience of over 100 years, St. Johns’ agents are experts in hurricane related insurance plans.
About St. Johns Insurance Agency:
St. Johns Insurance Agency is an independent Florida Insurance Agency dedicated to providing top rate personal insurance coverage throughout the Sunshine State. Established in 1982 they have been servicing the Ponte Vedra Beach area for 30 years. As a brokerage agency St. Johns Insurance has access to several carriers, allowing them to provide the best coverage as well as the best rates throughout Florida!