I saw how successful the 'Humble Bundle' was on the PC side – especially its charitable aspect – and I was struck that nobody had done it yet for mobile.
Palo Alto, California (PRWEB) October 10, 2011
Ansca Mobile today released the 'Corona Indie Bundle' – a pack of five top-selling mobile games made with their Corona SDK engine. Game players now will be able to download all five games on iOS and Android for just $0.99, with 17% of proceeds going to charity.
Spurred by the idea of the 'Humble Indie Bundle' for PC games, Corona developer Brock Henderson of Chicago-based Crawl Space Games first brought the idea to Ansca Mobile’s co-founders, who came immediately on-board with the idea.
“I saw how successful the 'Humble Bundle' was on the PC side – especially its charitable aspect – and I was struck that nobody had done it yet for mobile,” explains Henderson. “Once Ansca was up for it, we reached out to developers whom we thought had excellent Corona-made games, and got a nice variety to include in the 'Corona Indie Bundle.' ”
The 'Corona Indie Bundle' includes five games which have topped App Store and Android store charts worldwide and sold over 2.25 million copies individually across multiple platforms.
- 'The Secret of Grisly Manor' by Fire Maple Games: Puzzle/story game (think Myst) that has sold over 100,000 copies on iPhone and iPad, and has been a Top 5 paid app in the Amazon Android Appstore and Top 20 in Barnes & Noble’s NOOK Color app store.
- 'Chickens Quest' by GuGuGames: Lemmings-style game chosen as Ansca Mobile’s “App of the Week” in August and deemed “New & Noteworthy” in the Apple App Store in over a half-dozen countries.
- 'Robot 99' by Fu-Design: Team-oriented, multi-touch game designed by NYU Master’s student Keng-Fu Chu as his graduate thesis on collaborative gaming and player interaction. Also became the #3 overall top paid app in the Taiwanese iPad App Store, right behind Cut the Rope and Angry Birds.
- 'Walkabout' by Base 2: Tile-based puzzle game that’s been chosen as Amazon’s App of the Day and made the Top 100 in the Apple App Store in over 15 countries.
- 'Float' by Crawl Space Games: Balloon-juggling game that has topped 1.5 million downloads across iOS, Android, and the NOOK Color since its release earlier this year.
Ansca Mobile co-founder Carlos Icaza said the bundle is a great way to showcase some of the Corona community’s best games while also giving back on a larger level.
“These games really don’t need any help with publicity or sales,” Icaza explains. “Yet we decided to join forces and present them as one hard-to-pass-up bundle to raise money for some great causes. To me, that shows the ingenuous and charitable nature of our Corona developers – which is also what makes our community thrive!”
With each sale of the 'Corona Indie Bundle,' 17% of proceeds will go to charity. Specifically, the Bliss charity for premature babies in the UK, the Child's Play charity for providing toys to sick kids, and el Dispensario de Managua charity for the poor in Nicaragua.
The 'Corona Indie Bundle' is available now in the Apple App Store (and soon in the Android Market!) for $0.99. For more information, visit CoronaIndieBundle.com.
About Ansca Mobile
Ansca, Inc. (http://www.anscamobile.com) is a venture-backed Palo Alto, CA-based mobile development company founded by two former Adobe mobile engineers who previously led the Adobe Flash Lite engineering team. Their Corona SDK mobile toolkit empowers developers of all backgrounds to create games and applications for Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android mobile platforms. So far in 2011, apps created with Corona SDK have been downloaded over 25 million times across iOS, Android, and the NOOK Color.
Corona SDK is free to use for an unlimited trial, with subscription options available on Mac (iOS and Android development) or Windows (only Android development) when users are ready to publish their app.