Norwalk, CT (PRWEB) October 12, 2011
Halloween is a time when people are encouraged to steal identities for fun. But, there is a serious side of Halloween: identity thieves use Halloween as an opportunity to trick people into letting them into their homes, and then steal their identity information. IdentityHawk(SM) offers 6 tips for keeping your identity on Halloween.
IdentityHawk’s 6 Tips to Protect Your Identity on Halloween:
1. Leave your wallet and other personal identification at home when trick-or-treating around your neighborhood. But, do have a mobile phone in case you need to contact someone. If you are driving somewhere, you will have to have your driver’s license with you of course.
2. Password protection. Password protect smart phones, laptops, desktops, etc. These devices hold access to identity information. Whether you’re walking around with your smartphone on Halloween or invite a guest inside for a short respite, make sure your devices are password protected.
3. Keep identity information hidden in a safe place, preferably in a password protected safe in your home. Also, keep trash bins free of non-shredded personal information. People open their doors to strangers on Halloween; make sure your identity information is safe in your home, in case an identity thief comes to your door.
4. Be vigilant, even if you’re not participating in Halloween. People take note of who is home and who is away on Halloween. Since Halloween is a time when people are supposed to be roaming around strangers’ homes, it is a prime time for break-ins.
5. Keep your laptops safe. Laptops can easily be stolen and often hold sensitive identity information.
6. Keep track of your personal information. After Halloween, keep track of your account information - make sure there isn’t any spooky activity going on.
Said Jeff Paradise, executive director of IdentityHawk, “We expect that during the holiday season, people are more susceptible to scams. During the holidays, while many people have their guard down, we urge people to have their identity protection guards up.”
IdentityHawk is a leading identity protection service that aggressively zeroes-in on potential threats to help consumers safeguard their identity. Members are warned of potential identity risks so they can take better control to stop fraud before it starts. IdentityHawk is a product of FYI Direct, Inc., a leader in direct-to-consumer credit and identity protection services. For more information, go to http://www.identityhawk.com.