Lawrence, KA (PRWEB) October 13, 2011
Subaru of America recently announced they are endorsing the Car Care Council's Fall Car Care Month, a nationwide October program focusing on the importance of regular vehicle maintenance. At Briggs Subaru - the leading local S ubaru dealership in Lawrence, Kansas - they are excited about the news. To celebrate the occasion, Subaru dealers -- who, for the first time in the program's history, are all participating -- are offering Subaru owners free vehicle diagnostic inspections, including items that most affect fuel economy.
To help owners get the most fuel mileage, dealers will perform an "MPG Inspection." While the vehicles will receive a thorough checkup of all major operating systems, the MPG -- "Maintenance Preserves Gas" -- Inspection will place extra emphasis on systems that can directly impact fuel mileage. Drivers will receive not only a written report of the vehicle's condition, but helpful driving tips for maximizing fuel efficiency.
"October is always a good time to prepare your vehicle for the demands of winter driving," notes Gary Palanjian, vice president, service, Subaru of America, Inc. "And this year, the increased fuel efficiency that comes with a well-maintained vehicle is more important than ever."
Subaru shares these tips for improving fuel economy for any brand vehicle:
● Check your tire pressure – properly inflated tires can improve mileage by 3%
● Change motor oil and oil filter regularly, to protect your engine
● Replace a dirty air filter and improve MPG by as much as 10%
● Check spark plugs – a misfiring plug can cut fuel efficiency by up to 30%
● Run engine diagnostics – fixing a faulty oxygen sensor alone can improve MPG by up to 40%
● Drive sensibly; avoiding jackrabbit starts and stops can increase fuel economy by as much as 5%
● Observe speed limits – fuel economy drops 2% for every mile per hour that you drive over 55
● Remove excess weight, and improve fuel economy by 2% for every extra 100 pounds you remove
● Avoid excess idling, since idling longer than 60 seconds uses more gas than stopping and restarting
● Use cruise control to maintain a steady speed, which can increase fuel economy by up to 10%
Local residents who want to learn more about the 2012 Subaru lineup should stop in at Briggs Subaru - the leading Subaru dealership in Lawrence, Kansas and surrounding areas. Their sales team can answer any questions consumers might have about any of the great new or used Subaru models they have available for sale.