Broadmoor Announces Enhancements to Historic Southlake Building Rooms and Suites

Share Article

An enhancement project slated to begin in February and be completed in early spring of 2012 will bring a new look to the original 1918 Southlake building.

Southlake Rendering of Enhancements

This enhancement of Southlake is consistent with the look and feel of our grand resort while offering the amenities and services today’s traveler has come to expect.

Constructed and opened with The Broadmoor in 1918, the two story Southlake building has stood the test of time. Nestled along the southeast curve of Cheyenne Lake between Broadmoor Main and the South Tower, these series of rooms and suites are perennial favorites.

Now, an enhancement project slated to begin in February and be completed in early spring of 2012 will bring a new look to Southlake with the addition of balconies, a new entry foyer, lighting, carpeting and furnishings. Southlake will maintain its historic appeal, but the rooms and suites will have a distinctive flair.

“Our history is one of our greatest assets,” says Vice President of Marketing Dennis Lesko. “As we continue to be great stewards of what Spencer and Julie Penrose envisioned for The Broadmoor in 1918, we also know the expectations of our guests. This enhancement of Southlake is consistent with the look and feel of our grand resort while offering the amenities and services today’s traveler has come to expect.”

History of Southlake
Southlake is one of the original five buildings opened as part of the resort in 1918. It was one of the four wings that were divided into “maisonettes,” or small apartments, that had a living room on the first floor and sleeping rooms with separate bathrooms above. The lowest level was for trunk storage and servants’ quarters. Each apartment had a separate entrance to give the feeling of a private home but with the advantages of hotel service. They all had sleeping porches fitted with screens and “Venetian shades.”

In 1945, plans were drawn converting the four wings from apartments into individual rooms. By the time of the addition of Southeastmoor and Northeastmoor in 1948, all apartments had been converted to guest rooms and suites.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Allison Scott
Visit website