“We are witnessing a shift in the market from projects centered on a single app or handful of apps to broader initiatives of tens of apps across multiple business units with varying end-user scenarios,” said Shahar Kaminitz, Worklight CEO.
New York, NY (PRWEB) November 10, 2011
Worklight, the leading HTML5, hybrid and native mobile app platform for smartphones and tablets, announced today the availability of Worklight 4.2, designed to enable enterprise mobile teams to efficiently build, run and manage cross-platform apps as part of large-scale initiatives requiring advanced interoperability with enterprise infrastructure.
“Business and technology requirements for mobile initiatives are becoming more and more complex, as companies launch numerous mobile apps across a slew of scenarios,” said Stephen Drake, Vice President for Mobility and Telecom research at IDC. “In this context, companies truly need to ‘own’ the mobile effort, and develop and deploy apps using open tools, flexible mobile infrastructure, enterprise-grade security safeguards and comprehensive app management tools.”
In rollouts of multi-app initiatives for both employee-facing and consumer-facing scenarios, companies must handle a series of complex challenges, further multiplied as organizations embark on enterprise-wide mobile efforts. Specifically, distributed teams need to cope with development sprints for multiple apps, device-specific app versioning, as well as source code and build process management. Large enterprises also require flexible integration to back-end systems and complex authentication schemes such as multi-step login, transitioning web login to mobile interfaces, and matching mobile and corporate authentication. Other key challenges revolve around troubleshooting app connectivity and mitigating OS-specific security risks.
To address these critical requirements, Worklight 4.2, already implemented at select customers, affords the following key advantages:
Simplified Mobile App Development
- Centralized build – introducing a standalone build engine executable with command-line interface, easily integrated with centralized tools such as IBM Rational Jazz Builder, Hudson and Luntbuild
- Remote on-device debugging - developers can now use tools such as weinre to remotely inspect their app on a physical mobile device in addition to existing debugging via emulator
Enhanced Integration and Authentication
- Support for IBM WebSphere Application Server 7 and 8 - administrators can package and deploy the Worklight Server on WAS, including in large-scale clustered environments
- Out-of-the-box support for authentication and Single Sign-On (SSO) – integrate with Kerberos/NTLM/Basic/Digest mechanisms by simple configuration of the HTTP adapter without having to write server-side code
Advanced Runtime, Security and Management
- Enhanced push notification - unified push infrastructure now supports complex scenarios such as multiple apps subscribing to the same event source, multiple users logging into the same app and a single app running on multiple devices
- Diagnostic tools – automatic detection of connectivity and initialization errors with one-touch reporting to app developers
- iOS secure background mode – restricting app data visibility while transitioning from background to foreground
Extended Mobile Support
“We are witnessing a shift in the market from projects centered on a single app or handful of apps to broader initiatives of tens of apps across multiple business units with varying end-user scenarios,” said Shahar Kaminitz, Worklight CEO. “The complexity involved requires that companies rely on more advanced mobile tools that offer efficiency and richness of functionality across the development, deployment and management stages. With Worklight 4.2 and subsequent versions we are focused on helping our customers successfully address these issues.”
To download a free 30-day fully-featured version of Worklight 4.2, please visit http://www.worklight.com/download.
For a complete listing of the new features introduced in Worklight 4.2, please visit http://www.worklight.com/product/whats-new.
Worklight is the most open and advanced mobile application platform and tools software for smartphones and tablets. Our award-winning products help organizations of all sizes efficiently develop and deliver HTML5, hybrid and native applications with a powerful and flexible mobile IDE, next-generation mobile middleware, end-to-end security and integrated management and analytics. Worklight dramatically reduces time to market, cost and complexity while enabling better customer and employee user experiences across more devices. For more info, visit http://www.worklight.com.