We strongly encourage every health care consumer to take an active role in their health because no matter who you are, your health is your most important asset.
Madison, WI (PRWEB) November 29, 2011
With health care costs on the rise and access to doctors growing more and more limited, it’s important to make the most of every appointment. That’s why WPS Health Insurance, Wisconsin’s leading not-for-profit health insurer and provider of affordable group and individual health insurance has assembled a helpful list of things health care consumers can do before, during, and after each appointment to maximize the value of every visit.
“Good health is a partnership,” said Dr. Marvin Wiener, Senior Medical Director at WPS Health Insurance. “For best results, we need to take an active role in our care, asking and getting answers to important questions to help us understand our health, and to help our doctors treat us more effectively.”
A few of the tips WPS suggests include …
Before the visit:
- Complete a copy of our Self-Care Checklist on the WPS online Health Center and take it with you.
- Know your medical history and your family’s medical history. Bring records of any tests, treatments, or vaccines you have had in the past five years.
- Bring a list of all medicines you are currently taking, including vitamins and herbal supplements.
During the visit:
- Tell the doctor your main concern first.
- Describe your symptoms (use the Self-Care Checklist).
- Describe your past experiences with the same problem.
- Write down what’s wrong. If you are diagnosed with a new problem, write down an explanation so you know what it is, how to spell it, and what it means for you.
At the end of the visit, ask:
- Do I need to return for another appointment?
- Can I phone in for my test results?
- What danger signs should I look for?
“These are just a few of the things Wisconsin health care consumers can do to make sure each doctor appointment is as productive as possible,” says Wiener. “We strongly encourage every health care consumer to take an active role in their health, because our health is our most important asset.”
The full article, “How to Make the Most of Every Doctor’s Visit,” is available for free at the WPS Health Insurance Web site.
About WPS Health Insurance
Founded in 1946, WPS Health Insurance is Wisconsin’s leading not-for-profit health insurer, offering affordable individual health insurance, family health insurance, high-deductible health plans, and short-term health insurance, as well as flexible and affordable group plans and cost-effective benefit plan administration for businesses. In addition, the WPS Medicare division administers Part A and B benefits for millions of seniors in multiple states, and the WPS TRICARE division serves millions more members of the U.S. military and their families. For more information about WPS Health Insurance, visit http://www.wpsic.com.