Newark, New Jersey (PRWEB) November 30, 2011
NJIT’s Online Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication Essentials prepares professionals to communicate across time and circumstances in a global environment. It teaches students to communicate in a variety of different ways from print to media, from voice to image environment. This hands-on certificate shows students how to open their minds to new aspects of technology and communication in the 21st century. Students learn to create wikis, blogs, and podcasts while practicing the theory learned in class along with learning about different software tools to support technical communications. This Online graduate certificate is taught by research faculty proficient in these areas.
What will I learn?
- Advanced Professional and Technical Communication which introduces students to the profession and the academic discipline of technical/professional communication. It include usability analysis; visual information; ethics; global communication; report writing; information literacy; communicating with new technologies; and technical writing style.
- Elements of Visual Design which integrates theories of design, techniques of composition, and technologies of electronic and print publishing.
- Content Management and Information Architecture will focus on the use of Information Architecture methodologies (such as, DITA or DocBook) to develop a structure for presenting technical information and on Content Management tools for creating a single source repository for this information.
- Professional and Technical Editing includes correctness and conciseness, hard copy and on-line editing, editing graphics, document management, editor-author relationships, and ethical considerations in editing.
- Web Based Training Design is at the forefront of the recent 'e-learning' boom. Based on proven instructional design concepts, this course provides the student with the skills necessary to create effective web-based training programs.
Information on the Online Graduate Certificate in Technical Communication Essentials:
12 credits – four classes
One year to complete (on average)
Study is fully online
The graduate certificate is a stand-alone credential that can lead to a corresponding NJIT Master’s degree in Professional and Technical Communication that which can be studied fully online.
Financial Assistance is available for students who study part-time (6 credits or more). U.S. income tax education credits can be applied as well.
New Jersey residents studying online and/or on campus are charged, as always, in-state tuition rate. Residents living anywhere in the world outside New Jersey qualify for a new, more affordable graduate online tuition rate. This new rate is significantly lower than the out-of-state fee to attend graduate classes on campus.
NJIT, New Jersey's science and technology university, enrolls more than 9,500 students pursuing bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in 121 programs. The university consists of six colleges: Newark College of Engineering, College of Architecture and Design, College of Science and Liberal Arts, School of Management, College of Computing Sciences and Albert Dorman Honors College. Many courses and certificate programs, as well as graduate degrees, are available online through the Division of Continuing Professional Education. U.S. News & World Report’s 2012 Annual Guide to America's Best Colleges ranked NJIT in the top tier of national research universities. NJIT is internationally recognized for being at the edge in knowledge in architecture and design, applied mathematics, wireless communications and networking, solar physics, advanced engineered particulate materials, nanotechnology, biomedical engineering and applied life sciences, sustainable technologies, and e-learning.